Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhausts and such

Here are a couple of questions:
    1) On the original GS 4 into 2 exhaust system (GS650GL), there is a cross-link pipe that connects the right and left exhausts under the crankcase. What is the real purpose of this cross-link?
    2) I will be fitting a MAC aftermarket 4 into 2 exhaust (Turnouts style) anyone familiar with these and does it also have the cross-link pipe?
    3) Is there any way to keep the new headers bright chrome and not getting heat discolored? (please don't advise not starting the engine.... I figured that already)

Originally posted by cberkeley
    Here are a couple of questions:
    1) On the original GS 4 into 2 exhaust system (GS650GL), there is a cross-link pipe that connects the right and left exhausts under the crankcase. What is the real purpose of this cross-link?
    2) I will be fitting a MAC aftermarket 4 into 2 exhaust (Turnouts style) anyone familiar with these and does it also have the cross-link pipe?
    3) Is there any way to keep the new headers bright chrome and not getting heat discolored? (please don't advise not starting the engine.... I figured that already)
    I have a 650 also and the crosspipe is there becaues thats the way they made them back then. I have taken this piece off of a 750 and made a straight pipe to match them together and it runs great.I dont think you will have any trouble with the mac turnouts.I have been thinking of getting those myself.Do they have baffels in them and do you have to rejet or anything like that? Let me know how it turns out and sounds like.

Comment

The best way to keep discoloration to a minimum is to get the jetting right. Plug reads are the best way for the shade tree mechanic to tell if the mixture is correct or close to correct.

Comment

Hmmm.... Not sure if the MAC has a baffle. Right now my homemade exhaust is essentially straight-through with only an automotive resonator before the chrome tail pipe and I like the "Growl" of it. Hope the MAC is much the same. I also hope that no fooling with the carb (jetting) will be necessary. Just went for a short ride (first time in six weeks), just to see if she's still talking to me, new paint job and all........ what a treat, can't wait for Sunday morning!:grin:

Comment

The crossover pipe is to balance the exhaust pulses, will work fine without it
          The pipes will blue no matter what you do The ex pipes are not as thick

Comment

Working...
          X