pingle adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pingle adapter

just asking before installing pingel adapter plate and fuel petcock to tank. Do I need teflon tape for adapter screw's (to tank)? went thru many posts and did not see anything on it,kind of looks like they would leak thru threads .
    Robu

Do you have Hylomar? Pingel supplies it with the plate and petcock and it does a great job sealing the plate and bolt threads. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I just ordered a Pingel and the plate yesterday. The old stocker is starving my bike at about 120. The accelerator pumps in my carbs don't help so it's time to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1
        Do you have Hylomar? Pingel supplies it with the plate and petcock and it does a great job sealing the plate and bolt threads. Ray
        Ditto. Also, I found 6 wraps of teflon tape was perfect for making the petcock face out just right and be tight enough. Might be different for others but just sharing.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          I just ordered a Pingel and the plate yesterday. The old stocker is starving my bike at about 120. The accelerator pumps in my carbs don't help so it's time to upgrade.
          You should be happy with it. I like my Pingel.
          I had to enlarge the tank hole about 1/8" to pass the new valve through but no other issues. My new valve and the stocker were very close in height so I hit reserve at the same distance as before.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Don't forget to put a vacuum cap (on the carb assy) over your vacuum port that feeds your current petcock! The screws that hold the adapter plate don't need teflon tape. You DO need to put teflon tape on the threads on the new petcock before installing it into the adapter plate. The plate itself has a thick gasket which doesn't need any help sealing as I think they give you a sealer with the gasket. When installing the teflon tape, wrap it in the direction you will thread the petcock in to tighten. If you do it opposite, the tape will want to unravel. Also check the fit of the new petock before installing the adapter plate to ensure that it fits with your carbs in place. Sometimes the Pingel's profile will be different than an OEM petcock and will hit the #1 carburetor top.

Comment

Wow!!!\\/ Good to se ya here too George (used to seeing ya on the KZR forums). I haven't had any probs with my carbs on my GS yet, but if I do, now I know I can call you!!
              BTW George is the man to listen to for carb help. If ya haven't figured that out on your own.
              George, I'm gonna order those Mikuni BS34 Carburetors from ya sometime this summer for my KZ750n. Wifes car broke down and have been busy with that as of late. So, I'll be in touch with ya soon.

Sorry to steal the topic for a sec, but it is good to see a familiar face.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by NOS
                Wow!!!\\/ Good to se ya here too George (used to seeing ya on the KZR forums). I haven't had any probs with my carbs on my GS yet, but if I do, now I know I can call you!!
                BTW George is the man to listen to for carb help. If ya haven't figured that out on your own.
                George, I'm gonna order those Mikuni BS34 Carburetors from ya sometime this summer for my KZ750n. Wifes car broke down and have been busy with that as of late. So, I'll be in touch with ya soon.

Sorry to steal the topic for a sec, but it is good to see a familiar face.:-D
                I've met him on one of the hill country rides. Great guy and very knowledgeable.

Comment

Pingel

When I installed my Pingel, I had to shorten the standpipe because it was too tall for the gas tank. By doing so, you also decrease the amount of reserve you have. I cut off 7/8 of an inch and my reserve capacity is about 17 or 18 miles.....which I think is perfect.

In my opinion, having a reserve capacity of 75 or 100 miles isn't any better than not having a reserve at all.
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

You may have more room with your carb setup, Billy, but with my stockers, there is very little clearance for the valve to operate between on and off and I had to clock the pingel just so to get full operation. Not a problem just tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
                      You may have more room with your carb setup, Billy, but with my stockers, there is very little clearance for the valve to operate between on and off and I had to clock the pingel just so to get full operation. Not a problem just tedious.
                      I already had to elevate the tank a bit to clear the carb with the stockers. Might have to raise it a little more. Was that with the recommended petcock?

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                        Ditto. Also, I found 6 wraps of teflon tape was perfect for making the petcock face out just right and be tight enough. Might be different for others but just sharing.
                        thanks fella's, Looks like its going to work no leaks yet !
                        Robu

Comment

I already had to elevate the tank a bit to clear the carb with the stockers. Might have to raise it a little more. Was that with the recommended petcock?
                          Yes, I used the one recommended.

Comment

Working...
                          X