Cylinder head plugs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder head plugs??

When I adjust my valves, will I need to replace the 4 rubber cylinder head plugs? If it makes any difference, I feel certain they are original equipment. I read on one of the posts that they sometimes get damaged in the process. Thanks!:-D
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Originally posted by chuckycheese
    When I adjust my valves, will I need to replace the 4 rubber cylinder head plugs? If it makes any difference, I feel certain they are original equipment. I read on one of the posts that they sometimes get damaged in the process. Thanks!:-D
    No sense in taken a chance. With age they harden and shrink up a bit. That said I reused my original valve cover gasket with molded in plugs many times by using a little RTV.

Comment

I've seen SS replacements on eBay before.

Any good?

Comment

I'd put in new ones or get some anyway to have on hand. They're cheap.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, guys!:-D I think I will get new ones because I don't want any surprises. Ron Ayers sells them for $2.87.

Comment

Fleabay

Check these out.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you, Flea!! Great tip!\\/

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                No sense in taken a chance. With age they harden and shrink up a bit. That said I reused my original valve cover gasket with molded in plugs many times by using a little RTV.
                Me too. The emphasis is on a LITTLE RTV. You don't want blobs of RTV floating around inside your motor! :shock:
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                  Me too. The emphasis is on a LITTLE RTV. You don't want blobs of RTV floating around inside your motor! :shock:
                  Exactly, as thin of a skin as you can get on it. And let that set up a little before assembly.

Comment

Working...
                  X