SideStand Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SideStand Switch

Just got my 82 GS850L back together after a carb rebuild. Long story but air cleaner foam diintegrated sucking in tiny pieces of foam into carbs.

Anyway, I was a little rough on the old beast and I kicked the wires loose from the sidestand control switch. There are no connectors on the black or green wire, just a halh inch of bare copper wire. Looks like someone had soldered them on.

I tried connecting the wires - green on left side of switch, black on right side of switch and vice versa - the indicator light stays on all the time, whether sidestand is up or down. Was working correctly before.

The plunger on the switch is being activated by the sidestand arm, so it looks to be functioning correctly. I don't have a wiring diagram, but what is the proper hook up for this switch?

I did a search on the forums and the only mention of the sidestand switch is to disconnect the diode inside the headlight pod to get the red indicator light to go off.

I really would like to get the indicator light to work properly as it's saved my butt more times than I can count. Just love driving away while sidestand is down.( )

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW - carb rebuild was a big success thanks to the article about carbs on the site. New air cleaner cost me big bucks though - $62.00 to be exact - ouch eh!

:-D

Hellcat

Shouldn't matter which wire goes where. The switch just completes the circuit between the two.

Comment

Then it sounds like the actual switch is bad if the light stays on regardless of the position of the sidestand.

I'm a bit miffed as to why the indicator light wants to be on all the time though.

Short of leaving it disconnected, I'd still like to have it work as intended.

I'm going to tinker with it tomorrow - hopefully I'll find a fix - will post my findings. [-o<

Hellcat

Comment

Have you thought that the adjustment could be out? There are two large nuts either side of tyhe bracket that hold the switch to the frame just like the back brake light. You just need to adjust it so that the internal switch of the unit closes and then the light will go off!

Simple?

Suzuki mad
        GS1000E 1981
        GSX1100ESD 1983 nearly back together!

Comment

You should be able to hook a meter to the switch and check for continuity across the leads.
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I looked for the switch on yours but I couldn't find one
            Here is the part number for my 83 GS1100E. #37840-38301
            If you do indeed need one and mine will work on yours, let me know.
            You can have it for postage. Shouldn't be too much.
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad
              Have you thought that the adjustment could be out? There are two large nuts either side of tyhe bracket that hold the switch to the frame just like the back brake light. You just need to adjust it so that the internal switch of the unit closes and then the light will go off!

Simple?

Suzuki mad
              GS1000E 1981
              GSX1100ESD 1983 nearly back together!
              Yes I agree with Suzuki mad.I have had experience with this and the switch is very touchy. You have to get the adjustment just right.

Comment

:-D

Thanks for all the suggestions, found out the problem. After I soldered proper connectors on the bare wires I noticed that the rubber protector covering the spring was jamming up the plunger. Hence light stayed on with sidestand up or down. (Stuck on the "on" position)

I took a pair of tweezers and gently pulled the rubber accordion protector away from the spring and placed it on the main body of the switch - there was a notch for it and it slipped in nicely.

Voila, sidestand light works perfectly now. All is well and will be taking my first run (about a 50 mile ride) tomorrow. All I have to do now is check tire and front shock pressure and I'm good to go.

Thanks a heap guys.

Hellcat \\/ \\/

Comment

Working...
                X