How much is too much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is too much

So I recently picked up a 79 GS 550 for a whopping 500 dollars. It needs some work and I don't want to put more into it than its worth. I have replaced bearing etc in the rear swing arm and I will be doing the carbs this weekend which will hopefully clear up some problems with the idol. It still has shattered glass on the speedo, the clutch needs some work, electric start doesn't work but starter is ok, needs new battery, needs new tires, and the chrome is only in modest shape meaning that I can hopefully clean most of it up with some sanding and shining. Tank, saddle and panels are all in pretty darn good shape with only a few scratches and a little rust spot. I love the classic style of the bike and the ride but I do not want to invest more than its worth considering it may turn up more issues later. If I'm able to fix the issues I mentioned which I fiure may put the total cost of parts and bike at close to 1000 dollars and do not want to end up with a money pit. I know I could off load it to someone to cover my current cost who will take it as is and find another GS with less problems but like the idea of restoring it myself. Any opinions. I know these are good bikes but with costs adding is it time to get out and find another beauty. Thanks

Just about any used bike is going to have some issues. As long as you can do the work yourself you should come out alright. Be careful about using abrasives on the chrome.

Comment

Right

I totally agree with Billy... just stick with it and you'll be fine!:?
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I bought a $200 GS450 and wound up spending quite a bit getting it running and looking deceint. In the end it was a poor investment but a fun project.

Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Most older bikes have issues. Parts can really add up. Sounds like the possible amount you may need to spend won't be acceptable to you.
          Battery, tires, cosmetics, are all basic maintanance. Any older bike will need these. The clutch may/may not be expensive. Electric starter probably just a dirty/poor connection. Your idle problem you mention is, I'm guessing, an intake leak. Post in the tech section for this stuff and maybe you'll get a better idea of what you're up against.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Changing out the battery may solve the startup problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
              So I recently picked up a 79 GS 550 for a whopping 500 dollars. It needs some work and I don't want to put more into it than its worth. I have replaced bearing etc in the rear swing arm and I will be doing the carbs this weekend which will hopefully clear up some problems with the idol. It still has shattered glass on the speedo, the clutch needs some work, electric start doesn't work but starter is ok, needs new battery, needs new tires, and the chrome is only in modest shape meaning that I can hopefully clean most of it up with some sanding and shining. Tank, saddle and panels are all in pretty darn good shape with only a few scratches and a little rust spot. I love the classic style of the bike and the ride but I do not want to invest more than its worth considering it may turn up more issues later. If I'm able to fix the issues I mentioned which I fiure may put the total cost of parts and bike at close to 1000 dollars and do not want to end up with a money pit. I know I could off load it to someone to cover my current cost who will take it as is and find another GS with less problems but like the idea of restoring it myself. Any opinions. I know these are good bikes but with costs adding is it time to get out and find another beauty. Thanks
              If your primary concern is "value" you already lost money. No matter what you WILL be dumping money into a well used bike. You will be spending far more money that you will be able to get out of it (unless your 550 runs and drives perfect, and is in perfect road worthy condition, which I highly doubt). Don't be afraid to spend money, in the end spending money, upgrading and generall fixing up your new/used bike will be a prospourous learning experience, and buzzing down a scenic backroad on a warm afternoon on your 550 is simply "perfect", and worth every penny.

Comment

Working...
              X