Help brake light suddenly quit lighting, tried new bulb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help brake light suddenly quit lighting, tried new bulb

I noticed it quit working so I swapped the bulb and it still won't light. I'm at work and don't have a multimeter handy so I was hoping y'all could help. Using the front brake has always produced an on again off again brake light. I figured the contacts needed cleaning but the screws were stripped. The rear brake however has always given me a solid, bright brake light. But now neither will produce any light. Any help?

If the fuse is okay try adjusting the brake light switch that is on the other end of the spring coming off the foot lever. You may also have a bad ground in the tail light assembly. It happened to me and it was the ground. You can get a pressure activated switch that replaces the banjo for the the front brakes from K&L.

Comment

If its grounding OK in the light itself trace the ground wire back up into the harness. The light on my 79 died and it turned out to be a loose ground where it hooked back in to the main harness under the seat.

Comment

Brake switch

Same thing happened to me and the brake switch under the brake lever was corroded.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If the ground was bad then the taillight wouldn't work either correct? Mine does, just not the brake light.

Doesn't the fuse that controls the brake lights control all the lights? The rest of my lights work.

Like I said the brakelight was working just fine for the rear brake. On the front brake only it would still light but it would cut in and out. All of the sudden I have no brakelight with either the front or rear brakes. Headlight, taillight, and turns all work.

Comment

Check this out
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Sorry, didn't see that you had NO brake light, front or rear.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366

Would've been a good deal though. Any other takers?

Comment

Working...
                X