can i use 2.2 ohm coils on point sytem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i use 2.2 ohm coils on point sytem

can i use 2.2 ohm coils on point sytem, i would really like to put these coils to use and for some reason i have thought i read that you have to do something special to make then work thanks

Yeap a points system will work with no problems.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

5 ohm coils are spec'd for points ignition systems. It would probably be OK if you wanted to parallel wire a 2.5 ohm resistor to each 2.2 ohm coil. Although, I think its a better idea to just use what is supposed to be used.

Earl

Originally posted by odl777
      can i use 2.2 ohm coils on point sytem, i would really like to put these coils to use and for some reason i have thought i read that you have to do something special to make then work thanks
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yesterday jeff.saunders of Z1 Enterprises answered your question in his post at Which Coils Work With Points?. His reply states that 2.2 ohm coils should not be used with a points system and resistance should be matched the specs for the bike.

Comment

I've tried to tell you in your past posts....don't use 2.2 ohm coils on your bike.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

the only reason i want to use them is because they are all i have. Also i have heard that many coils measure high resistants than what they are suposed too. Like say some 3 ohm coils sometimes are actually 4ohm. Thanks any other suggestions will be helpfull.

Comment

the only reason i want to use them is because they are all i have. Also i have heard that many coils measure high resistants than what they are suposed too. Like say some 3 ohm coils sometimes are actually 4ohm. Thanks any other suggestions will be helpfull.
              OK. But sometimes you have to use the correct parts. I don't want to see you damaging/burning up parts.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

True, maybe i will run into some 3 ohm coils, i wasnt too concerned because i got the bike for free. its a 1978 kz 650, if it was only a gs i would probly already have it running. thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
                X