• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what spec should i be looking for? my manual doesn't have r/r specs

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
      what spec should i be looking for? my manual doesn't have r/r specs
      Well, you must put some effort into it; it's like doing an electrical design.

First you must buy a good service manual for your bike and understand how the charging system of your bike works in detail (down on diode thyristor level and what the different components are doing).

See also the pages I scanned for you earlier:

Then you have to get the figures of the output voltage and current range from the stator, you can read the manual or measure them.

Now you have to find an industrial r/r that meets the demands for that Voltage, current and permanent magnet rotor feed stator, don't forget that the Voltage/Current corresponds to the revolution range of the engine.

The r/r you choose must also fit on the bike from a mechanical point of view.

After you have chosen the correct component and mounted it, you only have to wire it in place (no big deal, three phases, + and -).

It is possible for sure, but I just bought a new spare one to my GS 1150....

Don't know what comes cheaper in the end.

Please let us know how you proceed.

Good luck.

Comment

I have used a Kawasaki LTD550 R/R (1981) on a 83 GS550ES. It was on for most of this season and he just stopped riding it last week. His charging system seems to work better than mine. Anyway. Be creative.

KRASH

Comment

I have got a late '70s R/R from a Honda CB400 on my machine, works perfectly.

Anthony

Comment

Working...
          X