Wont idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wont idle

Hey whats up? i have a1980 gs 750 L and i got it and it didnt work, i just cleaned out the carbs and it started right up but when i would ride it , it would take off smooth but when i went passed like 3,000 rpm's it would loose power so i went back home and i took it appart re cleanned the carbs and i got new plugs and filter and now i put it back together but i doesent want to idle. and when i rev it it bogs down and then turns off. Can any one help me?

Any aftermarket mods?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

No its all stock

Comment

I would check the gas supply. If you put vacuume to the vacuume lines, does fuel flow from the gas line? Does it have an clogged fuel filter? Sounds to me like the first thing I would see if it is getting enough fuel. Are all of the cylinders firing?

Comment

Yeah the cylinders do fire but it turns off when i give it gas and i have a fuel filter and that looks like it has gas in it when im trying to turn on the bike

Comment

Is gas flowing through the filter? It may be partially clogged and only allowing a little fuel through.

I would disconnect the fuel line and put it on prime (fuel should flow). I would then put it on "on" and put some vacuume source on the vacuume line (fuel should flow). If it does, I would bypass the filter, make surre the gas mess is cleaned up off of the motor area.
            I would then put it on the center stand, start it up ,let it warm 5 minutes or so. Then I would see how many rpm's you can get out of it. (You should get 8000 or so pretty easily). You can do this in neutral.
            If you now get 8000 or at least more rpm's replace your fuel filter.

If you do not, something else is wrong.

post the results of above and I can take it further with you.

Ps, is the inside of the tank free of rust?

Comment

Gas was not flowing trough the filter so i bypassed the filter and i got it stay on but it doesent idle so good. When i give it gas it bogs then it revs . it can go trough all the rpm's fine and the tank is alittle rusty but i washed it out with some gas until no dirt/rust came out.

Comment

I would now put a new filter in line. Are you running the stock air box and stock pipes? What did you gap the plugs at? Are you sure you have the air box on tight (at the clamps)?
                Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2006, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Yeah i have the stock air box and stock pipes,but the bike was sitting for so long that all the metal inside had rusted and when i finaly got arround to turning it on - all of the insides of the muffler came out. i got the box on pretty tight. I Havent changed the plugs what are they supposed to be gaped at?

Comment

I have an 850 so the gap may be different- Any other forum readers?

Comment

Working...
                    X