Fuel selector problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel selector problem

I have been having problems getting fuel to the carbs in my 1985 gs 700 e so I removed the bowls and cleaned them (they were grose) and cleaned out the inside of the gas tank. When i put the fuel selector back on I noticed that when I have it on "Prime" fuel does not flow through it, nothing flows through it. Is there a solution to this problem.. maybe soak it in carb cleaner... or take it apart and soak it... or is it going to have to come down to buying a new one?

Needed parts:
    Gas Cap
    Fuel selector?
    Air filter
    Front tire

I am from Corning, NY

If you're getting that much crap out of the bowls both the tank and carbs need to be cleaned thoroughly.

Comment

I did clean the tank and carbs

I did clean the tank and carbs but the fuel selector still doesn't allow gas through, I cleaned the screen and opened it up and cleaned as much as i could. Is there anyway to remove the diaphram to help clean it out? it is pluged up in there somewhere and I am having trouble figuring out how to clean it..

Comment

The petcock can be disassembled, but I doubt that's your problem. The passages in the petcock are big enough that it's almost impossible for it to be clogged. If all you did was remove the bowls from the carbs you didn't clean anything other than the crud in the bowls. You have varnish and sediment clogged carbs. All the circuits in the carbs need to be cleaned and there are screens on the float seats that have to be cleaned. Use the Carb Cleanup Series found on the sites homepage to guide you through how to properly clean your carbs.

Comment

I can't get fuel to come out of the petcock

When I try to run it and then take off the tank the fuel line is still dry, nothing is coming out of the petcock. Even when i put it on prime. nothing. the screens on the inside of the tank attached to the petcock are clean, the fuel selector moves, but nothing will come out, nothing. No matter what setting it is on. I am very confused.. sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by ScottieGS700E
            When I try to run it and then take off the tank the fuel line is still dry, nothing is coming out of the petcock. Even when i put it on prime. nothing. the screens on the inside of the tank attached to the petcock are clean, the fuel selector moves, but nothing will come out, nothing. No matter what setting it is on. I am very confused.. sorry...
            Inside the petcock there is a tiny flat rod with about a half loop of spring built into it. It pushes on the diaphram allowing fuel to flow when the petcock is on prime. Over time that rod shortens itself by compressing the spring. Lengthen that rod and chances are you will fix your problem. It will take a little trial and error to get it right. Try sucking on the vacuum line to the petcock with the petcock in its run position and see if fuel flows. But again, if you didn't disassemble the carbs they are still screwed.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2006, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Thank you

I am going to try to fix the petcock and take off my carbs to clean them. thank you very much for your help. I will let you know how it works out...

Comment

If you can't figure the petcock out send it to me and I'll do it for free. There's really nothing to them. Remove the plate over the diaphram that is held on by four bolts. Under the lever is the part that the run, res, and prime positions are stamped on. Remove that by prying the ends off. The lever and the rest of the guts will come out. Pay attention to how it comes apart. If you follow the carb cleanup guide you will be able to do it right.

Comment

broken petcock

I took it apart like you said and behind the selector was a rubber piece. Under the rubber peice was a bent peice of metal and it came out in two peices. Plus under the diaphram is really really dirty. I cleaned it, put it back together without the bent peice of metal, and when I set the selector to run, then sucked on the vacuum hose.. gas came out into my mouth... so I am assuming their is a hole in the diaphram. Is this petcock universal for many suzuki's. should i be able to find one at a motorcycle junk yard?

Comment

Working...
                  X