Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get carbs cleaned North Shore MA

Hi,

I have an 81 GS850 with 8k miles. It has sat a while and the carbs gummed up. All internal parts are only 5 years old (rebuild when I lived in CA), so I don't wan't to pay for the kits again. I just want "someone else" to get the thing running again. Anyone know of a good shop North of Boston, MA???

At the moment, the bike starts and almost idles. You can't rev it up. I opened up the float bowls and all removable parts seem clean and clear.

On the other hand, maybe I should just sell it instead of paying to get it fixed then getting into this same trouble after letting it sit three years again (big sigh).

-Gerry

Sounds to me like you just need a good cleaning! It's not that hard to rebuild and or clean them yourself...I know it may not look easy, but once you get started you'll find out that there isn't much to it. In fact taking off the bowls is most of the way there. In the long run it may save you time and money to clean them yourself.

Have you tried spraying carb cleaner through the jets to clean them out? just trying this may make things better.

If you want info on how to do it yourself or would just like an expert opinion, just ask George in his forums http://www.wgcarbs.com/.

hope ya get it running soon

Comment

The problem with shops in Eastern MA is that almost nobody seems to want to work on the older bikes.

If you can pick up the carb rebuild kits yourself (so you know the right parts are there, and I'd recommend springing for the complete and correct o-rings kit from http://www.cycleorings.com)), then I'd absolutely recommend calling Galen at Bikeworx, http://www.bikeworx.com, 978-897-0044

Bikeworx is in Maynard MA (west of Boston). They're an all-brands service shop (they sell bikes too, but none of the major brands), and they're serious gear heads (they also race). I do almost all my own service, but when I need something done that I can't do myself, they're at the top of my list for where to go.

Once you get it fixed, ride it a lot, and put Sta-Bil in the tank and run it a few minutes if you think you won't be riding for a while. Your carbs will thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by gwinning
        Hi,

I have an 81 GS850 with 8k miles. It has sat a while and the carbs gummed up. All internal parts are only 5 years old (rebuild when I lived in CA), so I don't wan't to pay for the kits again. I just want "someone else" to get the thing running again. Anyone know of a good shop North of Boston, MA???

At the moment, the bike starts and almost idles. You can't rev it up. I opened up the float bowls and all removable parts seem clean and clear.

On the other hand, maybe I should just sell it instead of paying to get it fixed then getting into this same trouble after letting it sit three years again (big sigh).

-Gerry
        I work for G&G Cycles in Salisbury, MA . If you can pull the carb rack yourself, you can save a LOT of money. You can of course bring your complete bike down and have us do the whole job. R&Ring a 4 cyl inline is a big job. We have a special carb solvent adgitation tank that will get your carbs SPOTLESSLY clean inside and out. As long as your bike is in good clean condition for the year we will work on it. Our # is 978-463-7900, ask for Glenn in service.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2006, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably pull the carbs and bring them to G&G to be cleaned. Glad to hear there is a shop right in Salisbury!

Comment

Working...
          X