Here's my petcock, now what?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my petcock, now what?...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-...44319762QQrdZ1 shows just what my petcock looks like. There is no handle to select a different position, so I'm assuming I do not have a reserve selection, or a prime selection? But it does say "pri", maybe that is prime, but then there is no primary (unless it's always primary because there is no reserve)? To me as a new owner, this is a very unusual petcock.

Pri is prime. Some of them need a screwdriver to turn. Doesn't look like the petcock has a reserve position judging by the filter.

Comment

Yes, that is the infamous 1980 petcock. No handle, use a screwdriver. Two positions: On and Prime (Pri). There is no Reserve, watch your tripmeter/odometer and fuel guage. Slot horizontal is On. Slot vertical is Prime. $45 is a good price. Dealer wants +/- $85.

Comment

Junk

As Jim says, that's the cruddy, old 44300-47270 that gets so much attention here on the forum. If you do a search, you'll find zillions of foul comments about it. I switched to a Pingel and never would have considered buying another one of those (I want a quality petcock, no vacuum and A RESERVE!).

By the way, Ron Ayers will sell you one for $57.75....I could sell you one for a whole lot less but I don't think you'd be very happy with it, either.:-D :-D
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

As Jim says, that's the cruddy, old 44300-47270 that gets so much attention here on the forum. If you do a search, you'll find zillions of foul comments about it. I switched to a Pingel and never would have considered buying another one of those (I want a quality petcock, no vacuum and A RESERVE!).
          so, do i do a search by that part #? or can you post a link to a good thread about how to replace it???

Two positions: On and Prime (Pri). There is no Reserve, watch your tripmeter/odometer and fuel guage. Slot horizontal is On. Slot vertical is Prime.
          I don't think my petcock isn't working, but it's been in the constantly vertical position (looks like it's pointing towards "pri". So I assume i should put the slot horizontally? Hmm...maybe that's why i'm not running as smoothly as I think I should be :-)

Comment

Pingel

Do a search for "Pingel project completed".... I'm sorry but I just don't know what else to say about that...8-[ Good luck!

Of course, that may not be your problem at all; but, at some point, it probably will be.
            Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-30-2006, 12:33 AM.

Comment

By the way, Ron Ayers will sell you one for $57.75....I could sell you one for a whole lot less but I don't think you'd be very happy with it, either.
              Would that be for the pingle?

*edited* nevermind...by not being happy with it, I can tell you mean the stock petcock. On to the pingle it is...I'm just going to add it to the list of things to do to the bike while it's snowing/raining outside :-)

Comment

Pingel

I can't remember just how much the Pingels are but with the adapter plate (which you will need), I think the cost is about $90. It seems like a lot (at least it did to me!) but it really is a very nice, dependable part which will last as long as the bike does...(rebuilds are done at the factory for $12, including return shipping).

Comment

Just got mine from Pingel today, about $96 with shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                    Just got mine from Pingel today, about $96 with shipping.
                    Worth every last penny. If I never wake up to a crankcase full of gasoline 200 miles away from home it will be too soon.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                      Worth every last penny. If I never wake up to a crankcase full of gasoline 200 miles away from home it will be too soon.
                      I've managed to keep the stocker working alright through the years with no issues. It just wouldn't supply the gas the RS flatslides need up top.

Comment

I began installing the Pingel yesterday. I had a little loose rust in the tank, not too bad though. I went ahead and rattled some gravel around in it to knock as much of the rust loose as I could and treated it with phosphoric acid. Looks pretty good now. I'll leave it until tomorrow then rinse it out with some VM&P thinner to get any residue out that may be left behind before I finish up the petcock installation.

Comment

Working...
                        X