Buying Hints for GS models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Hints for GS models

I am interested in buying a GS / G model. Looking for one with fairing and hard bags. What should I look for before buying. Other than the regulars of dents, broken, scratched, leaking, etc. I can run one and listen and ride it, but other than that I'm looking for particulars. Thanks in advance.

Harvey

hi slucop, lafayette here....make sure the charging system works, i think thats the worse thing you could find on any gs.

Comment

Re: Buying Hints for GS models

Originally posted by slucop
      I am interested in buying a GS / G model. Looking for one with fairing and hard bags. What should I look for before buying. Other than the regulars of dents, broken, scratched, leaking, etc. I can run one and listen and ride it, but other than that I'm looking for particulars. Thanks in advance.

Harvey
      Harvey,

Check out this link for buying a used motorcycle. I think it's all covered here. http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Terry

Comment

Nariz,
        Solamente una "ese" en "Emiliano".

Diaz

Comment

La Nariz,
          Perd?name, pero quize decir una "ele", no una "ese".

D?az

Comment

Believe it or not, Slucop, the best guy for the GS-Shafty info is tyed op doink Spinach spelink exarsizes, bot yooove got his tenshun.

BTW
            The recommended site is pretty good.

You really MUST check the charging system on any GS, shaft or chain.

GS shafties have two-valve engines, and are virtually indestructible, except for electricals, where they are weak.

Now, if we can get Nick back on subject for a spell, I am very sure he can give you some very sound advice.

Enjoy the Forum, please. And never be afraid to ask anything about a GS bike. We all learn from the problems and their ultimate solutions.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

The electrical system realy isnt that bad, with proper maintanance, and modifications, (replace the bullit conectors) they are just as reliable as any bike out there.
              I have seen more Hondas with bad stators, that GS's
              one thing to check for on the G model bikes is to look for any signs of oil leaking at the rubber boot, where the drive shaft comes out of the rear left side of the engine.
              this is not realy a problem spot, but if it is leaking, it will require the removal of the engine from the frame to loosen the case half bolts to remove the secondary gear box pinion assembly to replace the seal.
              not hard to do, but a pain to do.
              it may be posible to just pull the swing arm and get to it from there.

I have 128,000 miles on my GS 1000G, they are very tough bikes that will last along time with proper care.
              Hap call has a quarter million miles on his 1100e!!

Comment

So I'm showing off my Spanish spelling skills. Ain'tcha impressed, guys?

The GS850G, GS1000G, and the GS1100G or GK are basically the same bike, on the same frame. They all share the same virtues. If you can find one in good shape, buy it. It's that simple.

One "member" of this group, Robert Young, has his fully dressed GS1100G for sale. He lives in California, which is a long way from your home, but it's worth a shot. Look up the "for sale" ads in these forums.

Suggestions, and these are based on personal opinion, with which some may disagree. Have never owned a chain-driven GS, so this pertains to the large shafties. 16 years on four 850's and now an 1100GK have given me some experience:

1. Stay away from the "L" cruiser models. Uncomfortable seat, small gas tank, unnatural handlebars -- form against function. Stick to the standard models or the touring GK.

2. Avoid the 79 GS850GN. It has points and very outdated slide carbs. Also, a very weak stator. Poorer performance and gas mileage. I had one for two riding seasons -- my least favorite GS. Best years for GS850Gs and GS1100G's are 1982 and 83. Suzuki put it all together those years. The 82, 83, or 84 GS1100GK touring models are rarer, but that factory touring fairing and lowers is first rate. A 1980 or 81 GS1000G is also scarce, but an excellent bike.

3. The GS1100G or GK is slightly better for long-distance interstate riding than the 850's. Same acceleration as on the 850, but more top end. This is important when traveling for any length of time on the interstates, trying to keep up with trucks doing 75 to 90 mph. The 850 is stressed out (or the high-frequency engine noises will stress you out).

4. Once you find one, overhaul the carburetors and clean them out thoroughly in a cleaning fluid bath. Then replace all o-rings, gaskets, float valves, etc. The carbs will be dirty and clogged, chances are.

5. Keep the battery charged all the time. This will prevent the stator from working harder than it should. Keep the battery on the Battery Tender, especially during the winter months. Check out all connections; chances are they're dirty and will cause much electrical resistance, and therefore heat, and therefore failure.

Go to these sites for more information about owner experiences. The first one is on this site, written by me, on my acquisition of the GK. The second one is a short history of the GS1100G, the best standard bike ever made.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  La Nariz,
                  Perd?name, pero quize decir una "ele", no una "ese".

D?az
                  Gracias -

Por favor mirada ahora. Se corrige.

LaNariz

Comment

De nada, Se?or Nariz.

El Se?or D?az

Comment

Being the original owner of a 1983 GS1100GD with 86K miles on her, I concur wholeheartedly with Nick and Focus, though re: the secondary drive removal, I have removed 4 (3 from 1983 GS1100G's and 1 from a 1980? GS1000G) and none required removal of the engine; just a generous loosening of all the engine mount bolts to move the engine to get that last 1/16 inch of clearance needed. Through the years I went thru about 5 stators and a couple of R/R's until I went to the Electrex R/R and made cleaning the stator connectors a yearly maintenance item. It's been about 5 years now since I've replaced any part of the charging system.

Cruising RPM's compared to the 850, the 83 1100G's 4th gear is roughly equivalent to the 850's 5th gear. I'm not positive but I don't think the 82 1100's had this difference. This makes high speed travel much more pleasant.

Good luck.

Comment

I like my 79 GS850g

Comment

l didn't mean to insult you, Lynn. The 79 GS850G is a fine bike. I had one for two riding seasons. It's just that the 82 and 83 are sooooo... much better, much more refined -- as it should be, since Suzuki learned much from the sale of the 79.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                            1. Stay away from the "L" cruiser models. Uncomfortable seat, small gas tank, unnatural handlebars -- form against function. Stick to the standard models or the touring GK.
                            Nick
                            Oww, that hurts
                            Carmen, Dex, Bill? Do we have to stand for this??? Maybe I have an iron butt and unnatural arms
                            1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
                            2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
                            2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

buying a gs

i have had really good luck with my gs1000e with 40000 on it so far..
                              any more opinions on that particular series?

Comment

Working...
                              X