No announcement yet.

Buying Hints for GS models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alan, I prefaced all my comments by saying it's my personal opinion, among them that I don't like the "L" models as much, and don't recommend them for touring, (assuming that's what the original questioner has in mind).

You guys on "L" models, please don't take my personal opinions personally when they don't agree with yours. I'm sorry if I've upset you, but the guy wanted our views, and, as you know, I'm not reluctant to state my point of view. You're certainly free to state yours.

Nick

Comment

Since you asked...

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
      ...I'm not reluctant to state my point of view. You're certainly free to state yours.

Nick
      Since you asked... :twisted: Unless you are competing in an iron butt ralley, I personally don't understand why anyone would want to ride a bike with a full fairing? I mean why not just take the car?

Comment

I personally don't understand why anyone would want to ride a bike with a full fairing?

Because we are candy-asses, (and proud of it), that's why! Haven't you figured that out by now?

32 years ago I used to think that way. Fine with me. It's your opinion...

Nick

Comment

Lol

Thanks Nick,
          LOL That's the exact response I was attempting to provoke. You are righteous, even though you are not in the wind.
          Best regards,
          Andy

Comment

Nick, you know we was just funnin ya. I agree that the standard G has a superior riding position. Back when I had my original L and my brother had an 850G, we'd swap bikes and I have to admit that his was the more comfortable for a long haul. But, there's just something about the looks of the L that I fell for some 20 years ago and still enjoy.
            1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
            2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
            2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

I had a sports/touring style full fairing on my GT750 waterbottle and current GS1000 (a little accident ruined it a bit many years ago. Great for doing distance riding in all sorts of weather with no fuss. I used to regularly go on 1000km trips 9 hours or less, and back again within the week (back home from university) and to rallys 1000km there and back in a weekend. Having nearly frozen within 100kms one time when it was around freezing, I decided a fairng was a good idea for distance work.

Comment

Stupid Question

Being new to the list and not knowing the models, what is the difference between the G and L models. I thought the GS850G indicated it was shaft driven, and it could have a GL designation, which meant it was shaft, with touring package.(fairing, hard bags, etc.) I will be looking at the 83 850G the day after x-mas. I've checked out all the posts on what to look for before buying. I'm only concerned with the electrical and no one has given a definitive checklist on what to look for and how to determine if there are any problems with the charging system. Waitin for your help.

Lost in Louisiana
                Happy Harvey

Comment

The G is the standard model, the GL is the cruiser style with the step seat and the pull back bars. The GK is the model with the fairing and luggage. Hope this helps.
                  1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
                  2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
                  2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

The G means shaft, but L is usually a cruiser model (pull back bars, chopper look, small tank etc).

I have owned a 78 Gs1000 for 22 years. The electrics are basically ok, but due to time can get a bit flaky (plastic technology, wiring etc was good at the time, but age reveals all!).

The garage section of the site lists all the possible electrical tests you can do, but you would need a multi meter etc to do full tests. If the bike starts ok, that is a major part of your problems solved! If the lights brighten when you rev it, it probably works ok. All the lights, indicators should work ok.

Any charging or battery problem there may be is probably less of an issue than making sure it is mechanically ok and runs well. Fixing a charging problem is less expensive than mechanical problems.

Comment

Models

Allan, thanks for the reply. And yes that does clear it up. The one I'm looking at has the step seat (after market), an add on W/S, and no bags. I'll let the list know what I find out. He also has a 79 model that is chain driven, with fairing, hard bags, and luggage rack/backrest. I'll look at both of them. Thanks again and happy holidays.

Harvey

Comment

You'll probably find more low mileage Ls than the other models because they are the least sought after. Yeah my little L isn't the most comfortable, the bars and seat take some time to adjust to...But I got it cheap with 14,000 on the clock.

Comment

I'd have to agree - my GS650L was free. Of course, it had sat for 3 years beforehand, and didn't even start when I got it. Today it will start and run poorly. I'm pretty sure the carbs need a serious cleaning, from everything I've read here.

I would never have bought this bike. I would've bought one that runs and is ready to go. But I gotta admit, the price was right on this one!

Comment

Working...
                          X