Stator wiring questions. "What is bent?" UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator wiring questions. "What is bent?" UPDATE

First of all the GS rides straight. I figured out the fork oil trick. You do have to block off the air inlet hole when measuring oil height or it will lose a few ozs right out the hole. After height is right extend forks and keep that way until installation. I also had dried out triple tree bearings. Installed new bearings, put the forks back on and voila! Straight riding. But I have a wobble. Stem bearings are not tight enough. Will get that done later. Also put on new Cheng Shin Hi-Max tires. That helped the feel of the bike too. They are cheap but they are better than what I had.

New question?
    I was looking over the stator and R/R wiring and found my connections are toast. Are you guys installing new connectors or are you soldering the wires directly together. Also if you are installing connectors are you using bullets, spades in place of the bullets and do you use new Molex type plugs in place of the R/R conector or are using bullets or spades there? Or are you using butt connectors for fixed wiring?
    Second question would be do you keep the current arrangment(stator wires connect in one place and then run to the connector for the R/R or do
    you bypass that and wire the stator wires directly to the R/R?
    TIA

The type of connector isn't as important as using a solder on type. As for running the wire straight from the stator to the R/R, there's nothing wrong with that. The connectors under the tank are more for convenience than anything else. I use a dab of Ox-Guard on my connectors. It keeps them from oxidizing and gives better conduction. I did away with the factory connector to the R/R. It's too hard to tell the condition of the individual connectors inside it. I used heat shrinkable tubing for insulators on the connectors for it.

Comment

I crimped-on butt connectors (they don't disconnect, they just serve to connect wires) and then soldered. The next best thing to an unbroken wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Munro
        I crimped-on butt connectors (they don't disconnect, they just serve to connect wires) and then soldered. The next best thing to an unbroken wire.
        Yes. That is true, but it applies when the wires are freshly opened and clean. Later on, they oxidize, and the electrical connections deteriorate...not dramatically, like a complete shut off, but they perform poorly. It is best to solder all connections, including crimp connections, and forestall the problems.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
          Originally posted by Al Munro
          Yes. That is true, but it applies when the wires are freshly opened and clean. Later on, they oxidize, and the electrical connections deteriorate...not dramatically, like a complete shut off, but they perform poorly. It is best to solder all connections, including crimp connections, and forestall the problems.
          Hence my words: "and then soldered".

Comment

Working...
          X