NEED HELP 1980 gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED HELP 1980 gs850

i just bought a 1980 gs 850 and im having some problems it wont start and the bike makes no noise it used to start but it needed some starter fluid to get her running ive taken the starter out tested it and it works im thinking that it is the solonoid but am not sure i also know the bike needs the carbs adjusted does anyone know where the carb adjustment screw is and will it be a problem if the bike was jetted if any one can help please i could use it my email address is p_levin@hotmail.com thanks

Their is an often overlooked switch on the clutch lever for starter interlock ??
    If you need a solinoid Check the lawn mower dept at the local hardware store
    If the bike has been setting for long time start here & do the following
    1 Clean the fuel tank
    2 Make sure the petcock works / rebuild if necessary
    3 Check the carb to intake boots & replace the O rings
    4. Clean the carbs
    5. MAKE SURE the air filter/Box is connected & properly sealed
    Doing these repairs should get your bike running again in most cases

Comment

I have an 850, and the same thing happened to me. Take apart your right hand switch assembly, and take one of those emery boards from your wife or girlfriend, and just file the contacts on the starter button a little bit. Re-assemble it and it should crank again.

Shaun

Comment

Also, if you didn't check to make sure you were gettin' juice to the starter or solenoid, take all the connections off and clean them until they shine like the dude said to do with your starter button.

Comment

Working...
        X