Engine case cleaning and painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine case cleaning and painting

I've stripped down my Katana's first engine to the bare cases. But as grimey and dirty as it is, I really need to work on the cleaning part...

Does anyone have a recommendation as to how to go about it? I'm a lazy bastard by nature, and would rather a) hand it off to a professional or b) soak it in something hopefully not-so-toxic and let that do all the work. Scrubbing is for the birds

On the painting side: since powdercoating seems to be pretty much out of the question on these aircooled beasties, is there any (dis)advantage to having a paint shop do up the cases, rather than a rattlecan job myself with engine paint?

(I ask because... at a very early age, I learned that I am not a good painter...)

Bead blasted and then powder coated.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If you bead blast the cases, Try running them thru the dishwasher once or twice if possible The beads get everywhere

Comment

Powder coating is not ruled out on these motors, according to Katman it actually helps them run cooler IIRC, so bead blast and powdercoat is gonna be your easiest way.
        Dink

Comment

If I ever have do strip my engine to bare bones, that baby is going to get bead blasted and powdercoated. Same applies to the frame.

Comment

Working...
          X