Big enough battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big enough battery?

Is this a big enough battery to run my bike?

Its a '78 GS400, kick start only. A small battery like this would be perfect...

anybody? Or know of another small battery that can be laid flat?

Comment

why not just get the oem battery for it. you might have problems getting a battery to fit in the battery box

Comment

but the thing is, is that I'm not going to/don't want to use the battery box. The OEM sized battery I have is fine, but I'm shooting for this look:

so I need a battery that I can lay flat and tuck up to the bottom of the seat, so it doesn't stick down very far...

oh, also I think my rear brake master cylinder needs to go where my battery is now, so the batterbox/airbox is going to go... plus, I want pods
        Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2006, 12:51 AM.

Comment

... cough... \\/

Comment

I do not think you can take a battery that is designed to be in one position,and put it on its side. You will loose electrolite out of the vent holes. I am not sure if you can do this with gel batteries but I know you cannot with traditional lead-acid batteries.

Comment

Odessy(sp?) gel batteries are what you are looking for.
              Most battery retailer should be able to get them.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by semerm
                I do not think you can take a battery that is designed to be in one position,and put it on its side. You will loose electrolite out of the vent holes. I am not sure if you can do this with gel batteries but I know you cannot with traditional lead-acid batteries.
                right, but the battery I linked too can be put in any position but upside down. Its not a question of feasability, i'm just wondering if a batter that small is capable of running my bike

Comment

It's only a 4 amp battery. Could get dicey running lights for any length of time. You need to get the opinion of an EE on this.

Comment

Originally posted by spots25
                    Is this a big enough battery to run my bike?

Its a '78 GS400, kick start only. A small battery like this would be perfect...
                    The battery you were looking at has only about 40% of the capacity of the OEM battery. I think you would be wasting money and asking for trouble with a mini-battery. It would probably work for the short term, but would be a continual source of unreliablity and lack of reserve capacity. The OEM charging system was sized for a YB10L-A2 battery, and the smaller battery would tend to overheat while charging.

Comment

well realistically, the only function a battery performs on a old school tech bike such as mine, is to run the ignition for a couple seconds until the stator starts pumping out juice, and to provide a slight buffer for the electrical system. The problem with my OEM battery, is that a sealed one doesn't exist for my bike.

If that little one would work, it would be perfect both due to size and cost. I really don't want to have to spend $100+ on a battery if I don't have to

Comment

Since you are not using a battery box and the main size constraint/issue seems to be the battery width so that you can mount it sideways, you might consider the Power Max GT12B-4 Sealed AGM Battery if it will fit in your space.

Dimensions are:
                        Length 6"
                        Width 2 3/4"
                        Height 5-1/8

The width is just a smidge narrower than the mini-battery you were considering. The polarity is opposite of the OEM battery but it shouldn't matter anyway if the battery is relocated and turned sideways. This one is rated at 10 AH and 175 CCA and costs $59.95 with free shipping.

Comment

Take a look at the Gel Cell battery discussion on the (I believe) technical forum.

I think I've posted EXACTLY what you need. Before you scoff, realize that it's been tried before again and again successfully. (In fact, I'll be ordering a new one this week for a 1982 GS750.)

Good luck, and the bike looks GREAT!

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuyChuck
                            Take a look at the Gel Cell battery discussion on the (I believe) technical forum.

I think I've posted EXACTLY what you need. Before you scoff, realize that it's been tried before again and again successfully. (In fact, I'll be ordering a new one this week for a 1982 GS750.)

Good luck, and the bike looks GREAT!
                            excellent excellent... they've got a battery for $12 that should fit the bill quite nicely... and if it doesn't, eh, it was worth a shot \\/

Comment

If memory serves, the $12 batteries may not have enough amperage. The one in my GS750 is a 12 volt, 12 amp hour battery. It works *great*.

If you can find one with at least seven amps, that should work. More is better, but 7 amps was enough to start my V65 Honda Sabre (1100 cc). BARELY.

Comment

Working...
                              X