Broken Bolts (starter clutch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Bolts (starter clutch)

I got the puller today so I could pull the starter clutch on my 1982 gs1100gk . The puller worked great but the 3 bolts that bolt the starter clutch to the front piece (the part with the magnent on it not sure what its called) that the stator fits into are broke off!!! And of corse they are broke off flush in that front piece so can a guy drill these out rethread and put 3 new bolts in or am I better off trying to find a used or new one??

Hey Josh... You can drill out the bolts and replace them, I did (3 times) and I also replaced the springs and the rollers.... But it only worked for a little while. Your best bet for minimal aggravation is to buy a new unit and replace it.

You can do a search on Starter Clutch and get other folks opinion....some have been sucessful in putting larger bolts in ....putting a dowel pin in...etc.

I put in a new unit ...pre- heated the Clutch to 200 deg ...put the bolts on ice and did er up with red loctite...You really have to tourque the crank bolt down or it will slip when starting.

I have been happy ever since \\/

Check out http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=81299

Ron Ayers had the best price, but they did not have mine in stock, so I went w/ bike bandit.

Comment

The front piece is called the rotor, or flywheel. The three sheared bolts are a classic example of what happens when the starter clutch springs, rollers and gear boss become totally worn out. The starter clutch would have been slipping, clanking and generally making expensive sounding noises for some time. The good news is that the bolts should come out really easy. Centre punch and drill a 3mm hole in each broken stud and unscrew them with an easyout. If you're lucky and they haven't been locktighted in before, the action of the 3 mm bit might even screw them through for you. the bad news is that you need to replace the starter clutch complete, including the gear. The bolts must also be replaced with the correct high tensile ones. Make sure the shims go back in correctly in front of and behind the idler gear.

Comment

You can get a repair kit from crc2 $25 Examine the assembly carefully if their are any grouves Replace the complete unit $100-150

Comment

Why is it neccesary to replace the starter clutch?

I've reused mine 3 times after breaking the bolts and finally installed a steel dowel between the starter clutch and rotor. No issues since then.

I'd buy a new rotor nut, incase the the threads are stretched out.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Bolts are out....

Well I drilled a hole then put a exstractor in and each one came out with little effort. The treads in the holes look good so I can just buy 3 new factory bolts for it tomorrow. As far as rebuilding the clutch on the outside edge where the 3 springs goe there is a indead on the outter edge of the clutch with stress marks on it and one even has a mared mark where the pusher sits so Im not taking the chance on using this again. I will also pic up a new nut for the flywheel. I know the flywheel nut had lock tight of some sort on it what grad if any should i use on the nut/three bolts when I re assemble? Thank you for all your imput.

My Respect
            Pan

Comment

Use BLUE loctite.

Earl

Originally posted by PanheadJosh74
              Well I drilled a hole then put a exstractor in and each one came out with little effort. The treads in the holes look good so I can just buy 3 new factory bolts for it tomorrow. As far as rebuilding the clutch on the outside edge where the 3 springs goe there is a indead on the outter edge of the clutch with stress marks on it and one even has a mared mark where the pusher sits so Im not taking the chance on using this again. I will also pic up a new nut for the flywheel. I know the flywheel nut had lock tight of some sort on it what grad if any should i use on the nut/three bolts when I re assemble? Thank you for all your imput.

My Respect
              Pan
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

would this one work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1 Its off an 1000 mines a 1100

My Respect
                Pan

Comment

No. The 1100 uses a bigger flywheel/starter clutch than the 1000.

Comment

Just ordered all new

I just ordered the starter clutch kit + new bearings and a cover gaskit for just under $190.00 which beat both biker bandit and the other online sorce I have. Get this it was from the Suzuki Stealership too!! Should have the parts on Wed, Thursday at the latest.

My Respect
                    Pan

Comment

Originally posted by PanheadJosh74
                      I just ordered the starter clutch kit + new bearings and a cover gaskit for just under $190.00 which beat both biker bandit and the other online sorce I have. Get this it was from the Suzuki Stealership too!! Should have the parts on Wed, Thursday at the latest.

My Respect
                      Pan
                      Great, probably the wise thing to do. No sense on taking a chance on used and have it be screwed up.

Comment

Working...
                      X