Plugs and air screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugs and air screws

My spark plugs barely have any color, which I thought was an indicator of running too lean. To experiment I first put my air screws in 1/2 turn out, and found that all the spark plugs turned black. Then I pulled it out to 1 turn and rode it for a little while (not even 1 mile) and the plugs cleared out again.

My question is that I can't seem to find the middle ground between too rich and what I believe is to be lean (clear plugs). Any sudgestions? Thanks.

Originally posted by bexabarr
    My spark plugs barely have any color, which I thought was an indicator of running too lean. To experiment I first put my air screws in 1/2 turn out, and found that all the spark plugs turned black. Then I pulled it out to 1 turn and rode it for a little while (not even 1 mile) and the plugs cleared out again.

My question is that I can't seem to find the middle ground between too rich and what I believe is to be lean (clear plugs). Any sudgestions? Thanks.
    You should have VM carbs on your bike. They have fuel and air screws if so. Locate the fuel screws and try turning them out maybe 1/2 turn at a time to see what you get.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply. Have you guys come up with a way of adjusting the fuel screws with out removing the carbs? Right now they are one turn out. So it is safe to assume that if the plugs are clean (no color) = lean. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by bexabarr

The side air screws are to be adjusted using the highest rpm method with 1,000 rpm's as a base point for adjusting. They usually end up about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns out.
        Know how? Search? "Highest rpm method".
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X