Serious front brake problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious front brake problem.

So as I mentioned in another thread, the other day my front brake dragging slightly after a good while riding caused me to go down in some slick stuff, so Today I rode to work and started looking into it. I found a couple of very sticky slides and figured that must be it. I also checked the brakes for any air and found a bit as well as the nastiest brake fluid I've seen. Naturally I flushed it out and now have nice clean fresh fluid and no air. The pistons pushed into the calipers easily with the bleeders open and the master cylinder feels fine. I thought I had it licked, but by the time I got home, my front brake was dragging so hard it made taking off very difficult and was causing some freaky cornering. What gives? Any thoughts? Is there some sort of residual pressure valve someplace I need to sort out?

The master cylinder has a pressure relief hole in it that could be clogged.

Comment

The pressure relief hole that is blocked that Billy is referring to is usually under the plastic insert in the master cylinder.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks fellas. Should a bit of wire sort it out or do I need do get creative?

Comment

If memory serve me, the passageway is not a straight channel, so a wire will only clean debris at the opening. Blowing it out with air may be necessary, but be sure you have GOOD eye protection if you go that route. Brake fluid in the eye is a pain in the...............well, I could say arse, but to be frank, if you get brake fluid there, you're probably applying the compressed air in the wrong place. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by courier11sec
          Thanks fellas. Should a bit of wire sort it out or do I need do get creative?
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

i had that problem in my interceptor, so i took the master apart, cleaned it out really good, and put it back together. I had to replace this one seal that I messed up, but other than that it was pretty straight forward

Comment

Wow. I should have taken pictures. The master cylinder was full of the nastiest gunk known to man. I actually had to scrape the corrosion out with a pick! Cleaned it all up, lubed the pivot points for the lever and brake light switch. Luckily the Suzuki dealer had a new resevior in stock since the old one crumbled like an old dome light when I tried to take it off. O ring was fine. Pressure relief hole was plugged solid. took a lot of doing to get it cleaned out. Just went for a run around the block and it seems to be working fine.
              Now the transmission is shifting hard!
              Sheesh!

Comment

serious front brake problem

Just a word of personal advice. You didn't mention you pulled the piston/cuo assembly. If the resrvior was that bad the piston cylinder is probably in similar shape. Not too bad of a job but,.....well it's up to you.

DH

Comment

For some reason I couldn't get the piston out of the cylinder. Not sure why. I did flush the cylinder out with detergent however followed by water and finally dried it with shop air quite thoroughly. I went for a longer ride since my previous post and the brake works flawlessly now. I'll remain weary of it for the forseeable future though. Thanks for the concern.

Comment

Pressure relief hole was plugged solid. took a lot of doing to get it cleaned out.
                    Hello Ray,

I am having the same problem with my 85 GS700E. I have already opened the top of the Master and the Pressure Relief hole does not appear to have anything in it. Did you use compressed air? I will be completely overhauling mine this weekend.

Comment

Compressed air, solvent followed immediately by water so as not to damage any internal seals, lots of scrubbing and completely dry the unit with air. Since mine wouldn't come apart I worked the piston back and fourth as though I were operating the brake as I was cleaning it out. Obviously if yours comes apart you won't have to do this.

Comment

Brake repair

I found this to be a useful article:

SV

Comment

Problem is back after another day of the bike sitting in the sun. Calipers come apart tomorrow along with the forks and getting the front tire changed.
                          Here's a dumb question:
                          When I bring the front wheel to the shop, should I take loose the two caps at the bottom of the forks to remove the wheel or take loose the nut on one side of the axle and pound it through?
                          Thanks.

Comment

Here's a dumb question:
                            When I bring the front wheel to the shop, should I take loose the two caps at the bottom of the forks to remove the wheel or take loose the nut on one side of the axle and pound it through?
                            Thanks.
                            Short answer.....Both. Bottom caps dont need to be removed just loosen.

Comment

Thanks. Will do.

Comment

Working...
                              X