1100 engines question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 engines question

I can't find the info looking through the search, and I can't remember from memory when I used to be on here, so here is the question:

Are all the 1100 engines interchangable?

No.

All 8-valve 1100 engines go on shafties. Engines for the G, GK, and GL model 1100's are all interchangeable, 82, 83, and 84.

The 16-valve 1100 engines go on the chained bikes. Whether they're interchangeable across the years, I don't know.

The two engine types are not interchangeable with each other.

Comment

Might have forgotten about the shaft's. I have to ask the seller about that as there is one pic of the engine and thats from the left.

Comment

That engine is an 80, 81, or an 82 16 valve. Most parts from those years are interchangable. There was a change in the bolt pattern for the camshaft cover for 82, I think.
        JP
        1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
        1992 Concours
        2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
        2007 FJR

Comment

All 16 valve 1100 & 1150 motors will fit in the same hole.
          Dink

Comment

And they will fit into 700/750's also.

Comment

If the cam covers are stock, it's either an 80 or 81 1100 chain drive motor.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I saw that listing on fleabay and asked the seller from Las Vegas if it was a chain driven and he said it was but he was not sure of the year. Anyone wanna go to Sin City, have a good time and pick up a motor?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I agree that all 16 valve motors are the same and may well fit in the same holes (with a little change of front engine mounts) but the parts are not.

While searching for a replcement cylinder head for mine I was offered one from an early 16 valve. Firstly the valves were different sizes to mine, the rocker box fitted different (20 bolts to my later 24 bolt version). The engine studs were the same though. If you change to a later EF version head and rocker you would have to change the engine studs as the cylinder head is different adn needs longer studs.

Most of the bottom end are interchangable to my knowledge andso are the barrels, its mainly the top end. (I've just replace 7 gear box cogs from my 83 ESD most of which are now marked up from Suzuki as EF gears!)

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000E
                  1983 GSX1100ESD Allmost together

Comment

I need to get the jets from my 1100 cleaned up and see if the bike will start then. If so I'm not going to bother with another engine. If I can't I'll just get the engine and then tune up and drop it in. I was thinking that the engine looked exactly like the 1100 in the frame right now, but I couldn't remember what changes there were over the years. Did the 1100 ever come in a black engine or was that just the 1150?

Comment

the "83" 1100 E's had black engines.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If my van got more than 10 mpg I might consider a drive. I bought a GS850
                        motor a while back for $10 + $25 gas

Comment

1100 Engines ever come as black?

I bought a 1983 GS1100ED chain drive new back then and it had the then new black engine and black chrome pipes and mufflers as well as a welded crank. These were the major changes from the 82 models.

Comment

Originally posted by Geno
                            I bought a 1983 GS1100ED chain drive new back then and it had the then new black engine and black chrome pipes and mufflers as well as a welded crank. These were the major changes from the 82 models.
                            Those changes actually happened DURING the 82 model year!!!
                            There were several other detail changes, the stator end of the crank went from 32mm to 35mm,the taper the stator sits on was changed as well; from a 1in 7 taper to a 1in 5. The increase in size also included the removal of an oil way in that end of the crank that was causing a few snapped cranks. At the same time the clutch basket was modified, from being a full spigot the the clutch cover screws,screwed into. To a shorter spigot a spacer was created that sits on the clutch cover bolts instead. The spring on the very inside of the clutch pack was reversed,the tappet cover was changed to twenty bolts instead of twenty four. Oh yeah and the crankpins either side of the primary gear was welded, not the whole crank as is often assumed.
                            Dink

Comment

Working...
                            X