odometer is a'tilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

odometer is a'tilting

I have been getting ready for a trip to Indianna on my GS650L, and yesterday i notice that one of the little screws that you can see on the odometer faceplate was out of its hole and rattleing around in the bottom of the gauge. Since i ride the bike all the time, and do my bike maintanice on Wednesday's - it seems i have eveing a week where I am doing something on the bike - I noticed riding into work this morning that the odometer and trip counter started tilting up. The screw that came loose was the one on the right when you are looking at the faceplate.

So my question is, how hard is it to take apart the speedo gauge to do a very minor looking repair.

It would figure that this would happen before a 1800 km roundtrip coming up in 2 days.

FixIt

The gauges weren't meant to be taken apart so it is a little challenging. There are two methods. One is to pry back the flange on the back of the metal ring that holds the glass in. If you do it carefully a little more than halfway around, it will come off and you can replace the screw, clean the back of the glass, change the mileage, lube the needle pivot, etc. The second method is to use a very small Dremel saw to cut around the plastic housing and open it up. When you're finished epoxy it back together. Nerobro did a write-up on that method that you can find in the 'In The Garage' section on the main GS Resources page.

Either way is a pain, but if you take care of everything once you're in there, you shouldn't have to go in again for a long time.

Good luck

Comment

The speedos are easily disassembled with just screws, but the tachos are sealed. At least all the gauges I have messed with, with are all "E" models.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I know the speedometers on both my '78 750E and '82 850G are sealed. I've had to take both of them apart either to clean the glass or replace a loose screw. I'd love to be able to just remove a few screws to get them apart - I hate foggy glass. Some people have all the luck...

Comment

I looked at the speedo last night, and tried to take it apart, but regardless of the exploded diagram in the technical manual as a guide, one look at it and I knew this was not something i would do in the driveway with rain clouds forming. I might have to take the whole instrument assembly off and take it into my shop where i can sit down and do the job carefully.

Since I did my tinkering last night with the speedo gauge, the whole face of the spedometer vibrates. I don't think i will ride to Indianna like this, looks like i am drive the minivan.

Old bikes get better, new bikes get older.

FixIt

Comment

Working...
          X