Power EVERYWHERE???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power EVERYWHERE???

Hi, im new to gs's but ive had a few bikes over the years but this one has me stumped. I bought a 1985 gs750es a couple of days ago and it has a problem. When i ut the key in and turn it on the neutral comes on but nothing else works. I took apart the whole front end and checked the ignition. Power at red at all times and power on the other 3 wires one it is turned on. I checked the start switch and then it got weird. No matter if it is on the start or off position both wires have power when the ignition is on, as well as the two wires connected to the start button. I took the switch apart and i cant find anywhere there is a short. I've traced just about every wire on the bike and cant find a short anywhere. Any ideas?

UPDATE!

I tried jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and all i got was a humming noise from the starter. So where in the wiring is it messed up. And also is my starter bad? The guy i bought it from said it ran perfect when he parked it a year ago.

Comment

Engine Not Starting

Maybe this is very obvious but I just bought my first GS (2nd bike) and it wouldn't start until I found out that I had to hold the clutch in while in Neutral to start it...

Comment

The clutch switch has been bypassed and it was in neutral.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2006, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Update:!

I go the starter to turn the bike over. The motor was a little locked up but i freed it and i can tur it over now by jumping the starter solenoid.

Comment

Sounds like the first place to go is out to get a manual with a wiring schematic in it. It's hard to intepret why they did some of the electrical things they did even with a diagram!

Comment

I had the same problem on my 80 gs550l. I took apart the starter switch and filed the spring for button return. It was corroded and was not making good connection. This year, I had the same problem with the horn. Both times, fixed the problem. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
              X