Carb differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb differences?

Hi, I am about to rebuild my carbs on my new 1980 gs550l, I was wondering if I could use the kits for the 79gs550 to rebuild my 80. thanks so much

The stock carbs are different from 79 to 80. So, no, you can't.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

thanks so much, but I found a rebuild kit for an 80 so it is no longer a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs550l
        thanks so much, but I found a rebuild kit for an 80 so it is no longer a problem.
        If you run into any problems, put up a post. Lots of carb gurus here that will help you out. And welcome to the GSR! P.S. Click on User CP, and edit profile, and a least let us know where you live. It's nice to know where everyone is from.

Bruce
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Oh, and also click on the "carb cleanup series" on the home page.... if you didn't already know about it. Very helpful!
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs550l
            I don't know what parts you'll get in your kit, they vary a lot. But I suggest NOT using any new jets they supply unless you've somehow damaged the original ones. Many kits contain pilot and main jets that are not precision made and you'll have mixture problems. Avoid buying kits with parts you don't need. Under normal use, the original Mikuni brass jets will be fine if you just clean them up.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

it is a K&L kit, and I am actually reading the carb clean up series now, is there a manual online for a 1980gs550l, I can't seem to find one. thanks

Comment

Working...
              X