New choke cable or easy fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New choke cable or easy fix?

Hi guys. I have a 1980 GS750LT, and my choke cable is really stiff to pull open. Often I have to reach to the base of the cable at the carbs and pull it from there while pulling the main knob. It operates fine, what can I do to fix this?

Do I need a new cable (at $20) or is there another fix? Seems to me that a new cable wouldn't help, but I don't know.

Thanks

There is a turning knob under the knob you are pulling on which will determine how tight the slide is adjusted. Loosen it up, lube it up and adjust it till it works easy but not so easy that it won't stay up when you want it to.

Comment

choke cable

I didn't mention this, but the cable slides back in very easily, its only pulling it out that is tough. I will try the steps you mentioned, thanks.

-Warren

Comment

You might just have dirt on the choke mechanism ont he carbs. A simple solution would be to spray WD40. or something similar, on the choke mechanism. Carb cleaner might work better, but some will attack carb seals.

Cables are notorious for sticking in either direction, because most people don't lube them. Disconnect the cable and take it out of the cable sheath. Check the cable for rust.

Put a few drops of oil in it the sheath and let it sit overnight. Hang it up after that and see if any rust comes out. If it does, squirt more oil through to remove it, then grease the cable lightly and put it back together.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X