No announcement yet.

Rear rim confusion - 83 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So are you guys saying what then? This is a 3" rim. Are you consider it a "narrower" rim or by that are you talking about the 2.5 to 2.75" rims? I just want to have as many recommendations as I can get about tire size. If i put this 3" rim on my bike, would I be best served with a 130 or a 140? I guess what I am asking isn't so much if I "can" do it or not but more "what is the best" size to use for this 3" rim?

Comment

As I've said before I run the 130 on a standard 2.50 wheel. If you spend all that time and effort putting a bigger rimmed wheel in why bother putting the standard size tyre on that?

I took it that you wanted more rubber on the road. Now I'm confussed!

Suzuki mad
      GS1000E 1981
      GSx1100 1983 Nearly back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad
        As I've said before I run the 130 on a standard 2.50 wheel. If you spend all that time and effort putting a bigger rimmed wheel in why bother putting the standard size tyre on that?

I took it that you wanted more rubber on the road. Now I'm confussed!

Suzuki mad
        GS1000E 1981
        GSx1100 1983 Nearly back together.
        Don't mean to confuse. I think it is still me that is confused so please bare with me. The standard tire size listed for the 2.5" rim is a 120. The standard tire size listed for the 3" rim is a 130. I would like to go wider like you said but just want to know if anyone knows for sure if it is a good idea or should I go with the standard 130 size for this 3" rim?

I am really just fishing to see who has run a 140 on a 3" rim on an 83 to see if it handled well or if that combo suffers from the warped profile issue?

I appreciate 100% of all feedback coming in man.

Comment

Mark, you'll be fine with a 140 on the 3" rim. The chart I provided the link for shows you can put a 140 on a 2.75" rim.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            Mark, you'll be fine with a 140 on the 3" rim. The chart I provided the link for shows you can put a 140 on a 2.75" rim.
            I'm going for it. I'm thinking now that I may want to put an 1150 swingarm on? I would like to use my favorite GT501s but in a 17" rear your only choices are the 140/80B17 and the 150/70B17. On their web site they recommend a 3.5" rim for the 140 and a 3.5 or 4" rim for the 150. Smitty is offering me the 1150 3.5" rim and that is why I am now thinking about an 1150 swingarm. I am not sure if it will fit or not though?
            Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2006, 10:58 PM.

Comment

The 1150 swingarm won't be an easy swap, they are monoshock susp.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
                The 1150 swingarm won't be an easy swap, they are monoshock susp.
                Yeah I don't know what I was thinking there Ron

Well the good news is I got the 3" rim installed. I was able to use washers to get my spacing and then I bent an offset in the brake stay and she is bolted up perfect.

It runs awesome now. The power is the same I swear but I can actually do highway speeds again without high-taching it. Very nice. It handles great! Way better for a guy my size. I was carving out some serious road tonight braking in that tire again. It sat a while and I know YogiB didn't intend for me to actually use the tire but I looked it over and other than a little center line wear it is in really good shape.

I tweaked my suspension a little then. I took the preload on the rear shocks to the second to last spot and set the dampening at 3. At 2 it was bouncy. Weird as 2 should be stiffer than 3 but that is the way it came out. I put about 8lbs of air in the front forks and set the rear tire at 37 lbs warm and the front at 38 lbs warm. Took it for a burn and WooHoo! Man this thing is fast :shock:

Anyway, here are a few pics of it with the 17" rear rim mounted. Looks way bigger and way better doesn't it?

Thanks all you guys for all the advice, tips and help you gave me.

Comment

Damn!, that sure is a pretty bike Mark! :-) :-)
                  Caught yer hair on fire yet? LOL

Earl

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                  Anyway, here are a few pics of it with the 17" rear rim mounted. Looks way bigger and way better doesn't it?

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    Damn!, that sure is a pretty bike Mark! :-) :-)
                    Caught yer hair on fire yet? LOL

Earl
                    It's a screamer Earl, none can debate that :twisted:

Comment

Wow looks gooood Mark!!!That tire does have some life in it,how long it sat I don't know,but it wasn't dried out and had tred.I'm glad it worked for ya!Don

Comment

Originally posted by yogib
                        Wow looks gooood Mark!!!That tire does have some life in it,how long it sat I don't know,but it wasn't dried out and had tred.I'm glad it worked for ya!Don
                        I really appreciate it Don. The improvement in handling and sitting height is immediately noticeable. I scuffed the tire in pretty good already and it seems to handle very well. no signs of cracks or anything. It looks to be perfect.

Thanks again for the great deal man

Comment

To tell the truth it looks much better on your bike than sitting in my garage,your welcome Hoomie!Don

Comment

Working...
                          X