Dies in first gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dies in first gear

I have a gs650gld, but for the life of me can't help my roommate get his bike running right. Its a Yahama Seca II (please don't hate me, its his bike). anyway, its starts up fine, but then dies as soon as you put it in first gear. Any thoughts? I already eliminated the clutch cable as the culprit. I don't want him to give up on biking, thats why I ask.

Has it got a cut out on the side stand?

Comment

Do you mean the kickstand? I'll check, but it does run. It's wierd, casue it wouldn't work, so we left and went for a drink to let it cool down. Then it worked fine. The thing works one minute, then it doesn't. It's like a moody child.

Comment

Sounds like a safety switch for the kickstand.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sidestand switch

Try to unplug the Sidestand Switch. I had a 400 Maxim with the same problem.

Comment

Wow, we are a couple of idiots. You guys nailed it on the head. It just happened that every time we ran into this problem the kickstand was down. I can't believe it was that simple!!! Thanks for the help, I have to go run head first into a wall!! I am so wee tod did.

Comment

Working...
            X