New generator not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New generator not charging

I have a '85 GS1150 in my workshop from a guy I know, the reason it's here is because the carbs needed setting up and the steeringhead bearings changed but as allways more problems arise once you get to work on the old girl... including a front sprocket locknut lying on the bottom of the sprocket cover! :shock:

But that is now all taking care off, now it turns out it wasn't charging the battery, no higher voltage as rpm's rise just a slowly draining battery. Took the generator wires off the R/R unit and measured AC current, according to the manual it should give about 70 to 80 volts, I got 0.2v @5K rpm.

Ordered a brand new generator at Carmo, already got on off of them for my girls 550 and it works flawlessly, put it on the 1150 and measure voltage again, same results as with the old genarator!:?
    checked my multimeter on a good bike and it measures correctly, tried another meter to be sure with the same results.

Checked the resistance between the three wires, 0.8 Ohm
    Checked for continuity betweem wires and earth, indefinate
    Checked each wire from the coils to it's end for resistance, 0.5 Ohm
    Checked for burnmarks, none, still as new, been on the bike for 15 miles.

Rotor seems undamaged, it's magnets are all in one piece.

The old generator also looked fine btw, not burned and 0.9 Ohm resistance.

I don't have a clue what the problem could be, suggestions needed and highly appreciated.

I know this sounds basic, but, Check to make sure the R/R is grounded. I just put a new engine in mine and left one small ground wire unattached. As soon as I hooked it up I had my charging system. Then again, I also had 75 vAC accross the stater.

Comment

Make sure you are checking the stator for AC voltage with it disconnected from the regulator

Comment

Originally posted by ihalterman
        I know this sounds basic, but, Check to make sure the R/R is grounded. I just put a new engine in mine and left one small ground wire unattached. As soon as I hooked it up I had my charging system. Then again, I also had 75 vAC accross the stater.
        I am talking about measuring AC voltage straight from the generator, it is not connected to the R/R.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          Make sure you are checking the stator for AC voltage with it disconnected from the regulator
          I am indeed checking it with the R/R unhooked.

Comment

If we assume that the coils have been hooked back up in series after your end to end ohm reading test, and the ohm readings as you described are correct and you were testing the AC output of the stator with the volt meter on the AC voltage scale and not DC and that the stator is bolted in right, everything being ok leaves only the magnets themselves. In your description of the problem you say the magnets are all in one piece, but how strong are they? If they have lost their magnatism, you won't get much output. If everthing else is ok and wired right, as you said it was, there's not much else it CAN be but the magnets themselves. My magnets are strong enough that it takes quite a strong pull to unstick a steel screw driver from them, try testing the magnets themselves.

Comment

Working...
            X