#1 & #2 cold exaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1 & #2 cold exaust

I have an 83 1100e with 4-1 exaust and valocity stacks. I recently cleaned the carbs and now the first two exaust are cold. I know this has to do with the carbs right? I used the "spark test" to make sure the plugs were good and they checked out just fine. What confuses me is the first plug had carbon like usual but the second one was clean with just minor carbon on it.
    Any clues as to whats going on?

I am recleaning the carbs tomarrow and hopefully this will work.

Also unrelated the bike won't idle even if it runs with the choke on for 10 min. When its about to die the engine make lound "clunking" noises and vibrates really hard. I think its the valves. I am having it checked out later this week when the valve cover gasket is being replace.

Thanks for any help!

At very low rpm's you will get noise from the clutch & timing chain nothing wrong. Have you rejetted the carbs ??

Comment

not yet. i want to make sure the valves and every thing is set and ready to go before i do that. I beleive the ones in there are stock. The guy i got the bike from rode it for years then it sat for a winter in new york (4-5 months or so) and now it don't sound healthy.

Comment

Make sure the screens over the float seats are clean. You can spray carb cleaner from the float chamber side to clean them up. Make sure every passage in the carbs gets a good cleaning. If the bike sat on its sidestand while not in use 1 & 2 would be the dirtiest since most of the fuel from 3 & 4 eventually made its way over to 1 & 2.

Comment

thanks and tomarrow i am doing a very detail carb clean and was thinking if the five min soaking form the first cleaning wasn't long enough. Just to check my work i draind the fuel bowls and it came out a little nasty. should i soak for 10 - 15 min lor longer.

Comment

Most people soak overnight.

Comment

i can do that. Im so happy. as soon as shes good to go i just might take a day trip and go sight seeing by the local college and find some girls (around my age any way!)

Comment

Use the Carb Cleanup Seires found on the Homepage.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Comment

one step ahead of you. printed each page out this afternoon and put them in to a binder for future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by pinner
                    one step ahead of you. printed each page out this afternoon and put them in to a binder for future reference.
                    You won't have any trouble then.

Comment

after soaking still not working

I soaked the carbs over night and put them back together and the first two exhaust pipes are cold. Could the valves have something to do with this? Or is it something else?

Comment

Valves may be the problem. Check your clearances.

Comment

o-rings

There is someone on the forum who sells a replacement o-ring kit for the carbs. I strongly suggest you order them for $12, he sends bowl gaskets, jet 0-rings, choke o-rings, fuel pipe etc... It makes a world of difference replacing the o-rings with correct ones. I would at least soak them for 30 min. i did mine overnight, but i also removed every jet, the floats etc.. you dont want to put any o-ring in that dip tank. Using that carb cleaner step by step works great, the single metal strands from a wire brush make perfect orifice cleaning, then use compressed air to blow the ports clean and dry, air from a can works fine.
                          You can also do a coarse adjustment of the throttle plate that will get you close for balancing. I used a depth gauge and set the position of each plate to the exact position as the rest, this then will get the bike running smooth enough for a balancing.
                          Good Luck Bill

Comment

Same problem

I forgot to mention that I am having the same problem. I had my carbs serviced and balanced professionally, it was running great for about 2 weeks then all of a sudden it started backfiring and stalling as i opened the throttle. I found the left side of the motor was much cooler then the right by far, i had a bad plug in #1 which i replaced and found the spark wasn't as intense as #3#4, i tried another set of spare coils that didn't help. I rebalanced the carbs today and had a hard time, it will run around 2000rpm with the choke partially on and dies with it off even warmed up. I dont know if my coils are bad, i cleaned the connection pins still no help. The high ttension wires are glued into the coils and they are not in the best shape but it still ran great up till it started running like crap so something happened all of a sudden.
                            I am still shaking my head, I might invest in dynatek coils and put in iridium plugs and hopefully that cures it.
                            I also replaced my old vacuum petcock with a non vacuum one, installed a fuel filter inline and have a brand new tank so sediment in the carbs is highly unlikely. My compression is around 145-150 on all cylinders and I adjusted the valves to the higher end of .003. This frustrates the heck out of me. Even today after i balanced the carbs #1#2 pipes were much cooler then #3#4 which were hot. The tops of the carbs #1#2 were actually cold while #3#4 were warm, not sure what to make of that.
                            If I solve my problem I will let you know and if you can solve your problem would you please let me know what you did...
                            Thanks and Good Luck Bill
                            billrycraft@comcast.net

Comment

Not likely your coils since #1 and #2 use different coils. It's easy to eliminate ignition problems. Swap plug wire #2 with #3 and wire #1 with #4. If your problem switches to #3 and #4 - you know it's ignition (coil,wires,etc.).

If it stays with #2 & #3, it's most likely carb related.

Comment

Working...
                              X