Can't get clutch pull to be easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get clutch pull to be easy

I cant get the clutch pull on my gs650e to be easy like on the gs1000 i can pull it with 2 fingers on my gs650e it takes 4 fingers and its still hard,the cable was froze up but i lubed it and freed it up,im wondering if i have it back on correctly how is the lil arm that sits on top of the engine suppose to be postioned when the clutch isnt applied?

It should be at 9 o'clock.
    Is this a new problem, or has it always been hard to pull in?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I never rode the bike i just got it a few weeks ago and have been working on it,according to the previous owner theres no problems with it.

when u say it should be at 9 oclock would that be if i was sitting on the bike looking down at it?

Comment

It should be facing towards the rear of the bike, like in this pic:

If it is in the right position, it could be that there are heavy duty springs installed on the clutch basket. I have HD springs, and I need to use 4 fingers to pull it in.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

In looking at a schematic, yours might be just the opposite... facing forward? But either way, the arm should be roughly parallel with the bike.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Even though you say you just lubed the cable, it could be frayed internally, causing a bit of drag. For a few bucks, just replace the cable, and I am sure you will enjoy the results.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have the arm back on correctly,the cable dosent seem to drag when ya pull it just seems a bit tough im gonna completly remove it from the bike and soak it then try it after that if its still really hard maybe ill get another cable.

Comment

Working...
              X