Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra Clutch washer GSX1100ESD

Help,
    I've had the bike stripped since February 2006 and have almost finshed a £5000 ($9000) restoration of my GSX1100ESD.

Went to put the clutch back into the bike to find that I have one extra washer/spacer. I've not swapped or misplaced the washer/spacer it was in the clutch when I took it out as I carefully label or bag peices as they come off the bike. Yes, I have had the WHOLE engine to peices; NO I haven't forgotten to put it back somewhere else.

What happens if I leave it out? Currently with it in the clutch, I can't get the clutch to disengage or if I do I will have to go to the gym to get a gorilla left arm!

Anybody else found extra washers/space against what the parts, workshop manual states in there bike? Could this be a street mod for drag racing or beefing up a clutch?

The local Suzuki dealer didn't give much help other than put it back in the postion that It came from, check that out basket rotates with the crank when the bikes in neutral you should be OK.

It's a real pain in the A** as I'm this close to riding her again.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000E
    1983 GSX1100ESD Nearly running!

Are you saying you have a set of extra washers from the pressure plate?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

No, it has 11 of each as standard!

When fitting the clutch to the shaft you have 1 washer/spacer that goes against the gearbox bearing against the case then the oil pump drive cog which fits to two slots in the outer clutch basket. The outer basket has its own bearing and spacer on which it can run free from the shaft. Against that is a washer with a grove which is used to hold/pump oil into the outer clutch bearing. Then come the inner basket which is held on by a tab washer and nut. I have two of the first washer/spacers, the second was fitted onto the oil pump drive cog and the outer clutch basket. With the washer/spacer in place there is minimal clearing between then basket and the crankcases and clutch cover.

All the parts manual, workshop manual does not show this with two of these washer, only one!

The clutch has always been a little stiff to operate even when I got her, I've changed all the bearing and the pressure plate spacers and springs. Now I've ordered a new inner and outer basket as the groves are quite badly scored from the pressure plates.

Hence the question.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000E
      1983 GSX1100ESD

Comment

Are we talking about the washer that fits behind the rollerbearing of the clutch hub/basket? Thin, sticks to the back of the spacer inside the rollerbearing?

The 1150 has this washer in three sizes, but I don't believe the 1100 does.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

From the parts manual on the ESD/EZ/SD/SZ/ED range of bikes its down as a washer. But YES I would suggest that we are talking about the same thing. Looked in the EFE workshop manual and that has the same washer and the oil pump spacer just like I have got yet it's on an ESD.

Nearly all the bottom end is interchangable with the EFE from the ESD/EZ bike. Looking at the spare washer/spacer it would also sugest that it came from there.

Cheeer for the enlightenment.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000E
          1983 GSX1100ESD Nearly back together.

Comment

So does this mean your bike is an 1100 ES and not a 1150?

Are you removing the washer if its an 1100?
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally when I bought her, she was bored out to 1168 with wiseco pistons and a header from an EFE yet looked as an ESD. I've put her fully back to the ESD that she was with 1074cc barrels.

As for the washer/spacer I am tempted to remove it when the new clutch baskets go in. It will all depend on the fit to the oil pump drive cog and the basket to the crank. Any suggestions or advice on whether or not to remove this extra washer/spacer?

Originally the basket touched the crank cases so was making an awfull noise and milling away some of the case at the same time! With the knowledge of the extra spacers from the EFE I now know why.

CHEERS

Suzuki mad
              GS1000E 1981
              GSX1100ESD 1983 Nearly back together

Comment

If you look in the genuine GSX1100 manual, it mentions the use of shims in the location you mention, if this creates a stiff clutch delete it.
                Dink

Comment

Dink,
                  I've got both GSX1100ES (GS1100ES) and GSX1100EF (GS1150ES/F) manuals at home and the only one to show the extra spacers is the EFE version.
                  When the new clutch arrives I'I try it as I unbolted the clutch to see. If that doesn't work then I'I strip it out again and remove the extra washer, running her as the books show.

Suzuki mad
                  GS1000E 1981
                  GSX1100ESD 1983 Nearly back together.

Comment

I seem to recall that some folks put in an extra washer ('shim') in behind the clutch there to help cut down on freeplay.

Someone who'll know for sure will be Arnout -- so shoot him an email, he's a helpful fella.

Mike.

Comment

Working...
                    X