Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Wont Hold Charge

1979 GS1000

I can tell there's a few things it could be. First, I pulled off the stator cover and checked how much oil was inside. There wasn't very much. Second, the wires coming out of the bottom of the rectifier seem to be getting extremely hot, so hot that I can smell smoke and the one wire (the white with red piping) almost seems to be unraveling the plastic connection where it meets the rectifier. Also, that wire and the solid red wire, where they connect to the rest of the bike, the bullet connectors seem to be burning. The plastic covers on the connectors have black buildup in them. Can't tell if its some kind of packing or if its just burning. Also, the blue and yellow wires leading from the alternator to the rectifier, their bullet connectors are melting to the plastic covers. Also, the rectifier itself seems to be getting way too hot for its own good. Nothing else seems to be out of order, but then again some of it I can's see under the black tape and I dont want to start unraveling that stuff.

If anyone can offer any help that would be great.

Originally posted by Sc0ttzi
    1979 GS1000
    If anyone can offer any help that would be great.
    Seeing as nobody replied, I'd suggest starting by looking at the Stator Papers referenced in the Things To Watch For on the main page.

For the record, I'm in the same boat. I just followed the electrical fault finding document and found that my stator is dead. After I replace that, I'm expecting to find the regulator/rectifier dead.

Check out the Stator Papers and then post to us what you've found.

Comment

FIRST: If you are getting melting wires, see some are blackened and you smell burning or smoke, you have a problem, and it must be corrected before you go anywhere on the bike.

At best you can burn out the stator, regulator/rectifier and/or the battery. At worst, you can do all of the above, and also cause a fire.

DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE UNTIL IT IS REPAIRED.

DO check the Stator Papers for guidance on the electrical system.

You do this check with the rectifier/regulator disconnected.
      ( My preference is a digital multimeter, but a sweephand unit will do.)

You mentioned oil was low in the stator when the cover was removed, but you did not say how the bike was positioned when you did that.

What was your engine oil level before removing the cover?
      Normal oil levels should ensure adequate oil in the stator area.
      The stator is normally bathed in engine oil when running, which helps to cool the stator, but adds to oil heat overall.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuyChuck
        Seeing as nobody replied, I'd suggest starting by looking at the Stator Papers referenced in the Things To Watch For on the main page.

For the record, I'm in the same boat. I just followed the electrical fault finding document and found that my stator is dead. After I replace that, I'm expecting to find the regulator/rectifier dead.

Check out the Stator Papers and then post to us what you've found.
        That is a realistic expectation. Stators can go at any time, but usually remain good until the R/R fails, and the R/R failure takes out the stator, (and could also take out the battery, as well).
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X