Clutch cable replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable replacement

Well, I broke my first clutch cable. It was only 2 weeks after getting my first bike and it was quite startling. Perhaps that says something about the way I handle the clutch, but more than likely it was just old and in poor condition. Right now my bike is just sitting out on the street and I'd like to get it replaced as soon as possible. I've read the forums and people suggest using OEM cables over aftermarket stuff. I think that's a great idea, however, how does one find the correct one? Are there large variances in clutch cables? Do I have to find the specific clutch cable for the GS550 from the year 1977 or is that silly? Do I have a shot at changing this clutch cable without much hassle?

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I'm in the Chicago area if anyone from around here knows where I can get a cable quickly.

-pk

Get Suzuki

Just call the dealer and order one for your specific model. I broke my clutch cable on Wednesday and they dealer had a new one shipped in for me on the Thursday \\/ . Make sure that you route it the same as the old one.

Comment

ditto with G-man. Routing is important.

Comment

Hmm, I thought I broke my clutch cable, but now I'm not so sure. I was riding and I felt what I thought was something snap through the clutch lever. There is no tension left in the lever so I assumed that the cable broke. By that logic, I thought I'd try to figure out where it snapped.

The ball is still attached at the lever itself. If I pull the clutch lever, it doesn't affect the next position where I know the cable runs, which is into the clutch. That would make me think that the break was somewhere between those two points. Before I disassembled my bike in the middle of the city I thought I would try just pulling on the clutch cable directly where it comes out of the clutch. I thought if I pushed it back in slightly there it would lurch forward a bit in first gear. No luck at all. The cable seems to have no effect at all. Where the hell did this thing break or do I have another issue on my hand?

Another random symptom: I'm able to push the bike forward, but not in reverse.

Sorry that this doesn't make much sense, I'm just still very new to all of this.

Comment

Just a Thought, Last Summer I thought I had Broken My Clutch Cable but it Turned Out that the Bolt that Holds the Actuator on the Clutch Shaft on the Right Side of the Engine had Snapped in Half thus Letting the Actuator Freewheel. With help from a Guy at Lowes I was able to Get the Broken Piece out and Replace the Bolt and VIOLA the Clutch Works!
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
          X