Rear brake Master Cylindar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake Master Cylindar

I went to go on a Poker run last saturday. One I have been looking forward to for several weeks. But as we pulled up to the first stop sign I went to put on the back brakes and NOTHING there! Needless to say I didnt go on with the run! Riding in a pack of 20 bikes and doing several stops with no rear brakes is NOT a good idea!:shock:

When I checked the brakes I found it leaking from what looks like a gasket in the middle on the cylindar? It leaks all the way around and it looks like a gasket.

I called my Suzuki dealer and they tell me there is NO listing for a new Master Cylindar. They couldnt even find a rebuild kit!

Anyone know of a good place to order a rebuild kit? Or even a new master??
    [-o<

Rebuild kit for rear master cylinder

About 5 years ago I rebuilt both of my calipers and both master cylinders on my 1978 GS 750. I ordered the parts through my local (non-dealer affiliated) bike shop, and I believe they just ordered all the necessary parts direct from Suzuki, from numbers they pulled from microfiche. I don't believe it was a rebuild kit with all the rubber parts, just compiled from what parts you actually need to rebuild each item.
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

Brake Parts

You can get replacement parts from www.worldofcycles.com or get the part numbers from them and go to your local dealer. I rebuilt my master cylinders, about $20 for each kit which consists of a piston and cup set, a spring, and a new circlip. It is qute easy to rebuild, both the front and rear. I ended up rebuilding my entire brake system, I replaced the lines with HEL stainless, changed the front 3 line system to a 2 line system, eliminating that splitter up under the front forks, then I used DOT 5 brake fluid instead of the 3 or 4 that comes standard. Much better response, the dot5 is by far a superior fluid in my opinion, it doesn't harm the paint and actually lasts longer then 3 or 4, however all parts need to be new or 100% clean and dry before adding 5 because any mixture of 3 and 4 with 5 will create a real mess of goop. My brakes now respond much better then before, also replacing old parts to begin with probably has a lot to do with that. Go ahead and get the parts, its a easy job and well worth the time. I know they also sell a NEW rear master cylinder for about $125 straight from Suzuki if that interests you, but usually rebuilding makes them as good as new provided it isn't damaged, rusted or the inside wall of the cylinder is not scored..
      Good Luck Bill

Comment

I rebuilt my 78 gs1000 masters last year and the dealer had no problems getting the factory parts. Maybe the counter guy there is lazy or doesn't know any better. I have bought a lot of parts for this bike the last year or so and everything was available from Suzuki. That includes new side covers.

Comment

Dont get me wrong. The dealer can order all the individual parts for me. But not just as one kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rake78GS
            I went to go on a Poker run last saturday. One I have been looking forward to for several weeks. But as we pulled up to the first stop sign I went to put on the back brakes and NOTHING there! Needless to say I didnt go on with the run! Riding in a pack of 20 bikes and doing several stops with no rear brakes is NOT a good idea!:shock:

When I checked the brakes I found it leaking from what looks like a gasket in the middle on the cylindar? It leaks all the way around and it looks like a gasket.

I called my Suzuki dealer and they tell me there is NO listing for a new Master Cylindar. They couldnt even find a rebuild kit!

Anyone know of a good place to order a rebuild kit? Or even a new master??
            [-o<
            Go to J. T. Motorsports and select Rear Master Cylinder. Depending on where it's leaking, you can but a complete 69740-470V0 Tank Assembly for $28.00, or a 69600-45820 Piston & Cup Set for $20.94. You can buy a complete new rear master cylinder 69600-47011 for $104.65. If you disassemble the master cylinder and see what's causing the leak you can replace just the bad part without being concerned about a kit.

Comment

If you want to work with the dealer, you might want to call them back and get someone else. FlatOut has the part listed, same as my 80 750E

CYLINDER ASSY,R
              69600-47011 (replaces 69600-47001) 1 $98.10

I was told by my local dealer that they (dealers) are all working off the same distribution network, but can override list pricing markup's within reason. Might be worth a shot. It's also been my experience that sometimes phone request's don't get the attention they deserve when the dealer has people standing in line for parts. If the dealer is close enough, a trip in may be in order.

Just a though

ghwrenchit
              Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2006, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ghwrenchit
                FlatOut has the part listed, same as my 80 750E

CYLINDER ASSY,R
                69600-47011 (replaces 69600-47001) 1 $98.10
                WOW! Thanks for the link. I have been looking for a good fiche so can look up parts.

After looking at the diagram, I think I will just take it apart and order only whats needed!!\\/

Comment

No problem..... as a side note..... (i didn't tell you this!!) When you get to the first pic, look in your address bar. All of the pics are in numeric order. Righ Click the pic and "save as" save it to a folder, then change the address bar pic number to the next higher and hit enter. Within no time you'll have the complete parts breakdown of the bike, minus the part numbers and prices. Great to have when your wondering "what when where" if the need arises.:-D :-D :-D

ghwrenchit
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2006, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X