Does shifter have anything to do with starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does shifter have anything to do with starting

Hey everyone, I got my bike running but sometimes when I push the starter button it wont do anything. So I traced all wires and they all looked good. Then I was shifting through the gears and it would start sometimes. Does something in the shifting mech have anything to do with it starting. Some times its also hard to find neutral. 1982 gs650gl
    thanks Brandy

Suzuki uses a clutch lever switch to lock out the starter. The clutch must pulled in to start.

As far as I know, there's nothing connected to the trans but the gear indicator and neutral light.

Comment

Even when the bike is in neutral I have to pull the clutch in? Because when it does start I had it in neutral and didnt have the clutch in. Thanks

Comment

I can only speak for the 850, but I think they have the same setup. Unless it's broken or someone has tampered with it (and lots of owners do), the bike shouldn't start unless the clutch lever is pulled in.

I would bypass this switch to eliminate it as a source of your problem. I've never done it, but it should be fairly simple to do.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2006, 04:19 PM.

Comment

The starter circuit goes from the battery, to the right bar switch, to the clutch safety then to the ignition and finally to the starter. Could be a short somewhere.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have to have the clutch lever pulled in on my GS750E or it won't start. Its a safety lockout mechanism. My wife's 2000 Honda Civic is the same way.

- Tim

Comment

Working...
            X