5W40 Rotella in a 10w40 engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5W40 Rotella in a 10w40 engine?

Here's an oil question. After reading through all of the oil-related threads I could find, I've got one question left before giving this stuff a try. I'm currently running Mobile1 MX4T 10W40 synthetic in my '82 GS750E. Thats what the guy before me used for years, so thats what is in it now. As I prepare to do an oil change I'm looking for a good alternative, as this is getting hard to find and is $8-$10 a quart. So, I'm thinking of using the 5W40 Rotella that so many here use.

What issues/risks/concerns should I have about using a 5W40 in place of a 10W40?

Thanks in advance. And this is not meant to be a massive oil battle thread. I hope it doesn't turn into that...I don't have time to read another LONG thread.

- Tim

None .

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaTim
      Here's an oil question. After reading through all of the oil-related threads I could find, I've got one question left before giving this stuff a try. I'm currently running Mobile1 MX4T 10W40 synthetic in my '82 GS750E. Thats what the guy before me used for years, so thats what is in it now. As I prepare to do an oil change I'm looking for a good alternative, as this is getting hard to find and is $8-$10 a quart. So, I'm thinking of using the 5W40 Rotella that so many here use.

What issues/risks/concerns should I have about using a 5W40 in place of a 10W40?

Thanks in advance. And this is not meant to be a massive oil battle thread. I hope it doesn't turn into that...I don't have time to read another LONG thread.

- Tim
      It will spin the engine faster and start easier in extreme cold. Other than that, it should perform about the same as the Mobil.

Comment

Rotella

That's what I use in my Goldwing and that's what is going into the GS650L that I just got done putting rod and main bearings in.

Comment

Should make no difference on your bike. It's happy as long as the oil is fresh and clean, the filter has been replaced recently, and you ride the he!! out of it often.

Trust the GS -- it's a tough old bird, demanding little and giving lots.

Comment

Working...
          X