Correct gel battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct gel battery?

I have a 1981 gs850g and I have been nursing the old battery too long. I want to replace it with a maintence free gel type.
    Anyone have recomendations as to what brand and also the correct number please?

motorcyclebatteriesusa.com I did a Buyer Review on them a Few Months ago, Very Pleased.:-D
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Thank you- Their price $67.75 including shipping- Is this a good price?

Comment

Originally posted by semerm
        Thank you- Their price $67.75 including shipping- Is this a good price?
        Considering You Don't have to Mess with Acid and it's Totally Maint. Free Yes, it's a Great Deal. I was amazed at the Difference it Made in My 850, I hope You get the Same Result!\\/

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Just get it, install it, stop worrying about it, ride the he!! out of the bike, and enjoy it.

Good price quoted. Get it and forget it. Just keep it clean, wipe off the dust once in a while, make sure the terminals stay clean.

Comment

I went to the local Yamaha dealer and found a Deka maintenance free for 45.00. Call around.

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw
              I went to the local Yamaha dealer and found a Deka maintenance free for 45.00. Call around.
              If You're Not Buying a New Bike, The Yammy Dealer Here is about as Friendly as a Rabid Porcupine!:shock:

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I'm cheap 32.99 for acid battery at WalMart

Comment

Originally posted by semerm
                  I have a 1981 gs850g and I have been nursing the old battery too long. I want to replace it with a maintence free gel type.
                  Gel types are fantastic. If you're very frugal, however, you can use a gel type battery from a UPS, an uninterruptible power supply. Go here: http://www.aventrade.com/batteries.html and find out which battery fits your battery holder. Then get the highest rated battery that fits.

It's worked on many bikes. Make sure to tape up the leads though. To forget this is a bad, bad thing when the positive lead bumps up against the metal frame.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuyChuck
                    Gel types are fantastic. If you're very frugal, however, you can use a gel type battery from a UPS, an uninterruptible power supply. Go here: http://www.aventrade.com/batteries.html and find out which battery fits your battery holder. Then get the highest rated battery that fits.

It's worked on many bikes. Make sure to tape up the leads though. To forget this is a bad, bad thing when the positive lead bumps up against the metal frame.
                    ????

How much money does this save you? Aren't those UPS's made for computers? I'll stick with a gel motorcycle specific battery.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

would a gel battery outlast an acid type?

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                        How much money does this save you? Aren't those UPS's made for computers? I'll stick with a gel motorcycle specific battery.
                        A suitable gel-cell battery from this place is generally 1/3 the price of a Official Motorcycle Gel-Cell battery.

These batteries aren't *made* for computers, they're simply used in them and many other applications.

You don't need a motorcycle specific battery for your bike, you simply need a battery. There are many riders at the electronic shop where I work, and we've found that appropriately sized gel-cel batteries from this place cost about as much (or less) than standard (non-gel) motorcycle batteries from other places.

A gel-cel battery with an appropriate voltage/amperage rating is the same as most any other gel-cel battery. They all work.

(The link posted above is a reputable company that makes a good battery. I'm sure there's crap batteries out there, like in any industry, but the above ones are worthwhile.)

$26 for a sealed motorcycle battery? I'm there.

Comment

Originally posted by TPT
                          would a gel battery outlast an acid type?
                          Generally the answer is yes. They are sealed so they don't evaporate or need fluid added, ever. And if your bike tips over, acid doesn't leak out. (It happened to me once, and it's quite annoying.)

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuyChuck
                            A suitable gel-cell battery from this place is generally 1/3 the price of a Official Motorcycle Gel-Cell battery.

These batteries aren't *made* for computers, they're simply used in them and many other applications.

You don't need a motorcycle specific battery for your bike, you simply need a battery. There are many riders at the electronic shop where I work, and we've found that appropriately sized gel-cel batteries from this place cost about as much (or less) than standard (non-gel) motorcycle batteries from other places.

A gel-cel battery with an appropriate voltage/amperage rating is the same as most any other gel-cel battery. They all work.

(The link posted above is a reputable company that makes a good battery. I'm sure there's crap batteries out there, like in any industry, but the above ones are worthwhile.)

$26 for a sealed motorcycle battery? I'm there.

Electrically, sure, there's no problem. However, the plastic case is noticeably thicker and tougher on a battery intended for use in motorcycles.

I've replaced gel cells many times in various pieces of equipment, as well as many motorcycle batteries. I'd much rather use the one with the thicker, more vibration-resistant case in my bike.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You need a Yuasa YTX14AHL or equivalent

Specifications

Non-spillable AGM battery
                              12 Volt 14 amp hour 200 cold cranking amps
                              Replaces YB14L-A2, YB14L-B2, 12N14-3A
                              5 5/16"L x 3 1/2"W x 6 9/16"H

Comment

Working...
                              X