Correct gel battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer
    Electrically, sure, there's no problem. However, the plastic case is noticeably thicker and tougher on a battery intended for use in motorcycles.
    You made me curious, so I brought out a non-motorcycle specific gel-cel like the one I wrote about out to the garage to take a look. Though I understand all batteries may be made a little differently, the gel-cell felt and appeared more sturdy than the "Bike Master" battery currently in the 1985 GS450.

Originally posted by bwringer
    I've replaced gel cells many times in various pieces of equipment, as well as many motorcycle batteries. I'd much rather use the one with the thicker, more vibration-resistant case in my bike.
    THAT I completely understand. Peace of mind is worth a lot in my book. I'll happily pay more for something that won't make me nervous. However, due to years of good results from my boss (electrical engineer and motorcyclist) and good results from others, I'm not uncomfortable enough to spend the extra $40 to get a sealed motorcycle specific battery. I understand that many won't think the same as me.

Comment

Batteries for ups , etc I have dealt with require a certain charging voltage which can be different from wet or automotive type batteries. check this out.

Comment

Motorcycle and UPS Batteries are AGM, NOT Gel Cell

The title of this thread uses "gel cell" as a generic term for a valve regulated SLA (sealed lead acid) battery. Gell cell is an older technology than AGM (absorbed glass mat) and is used primarily on large capacity batteries. An AGM battery is better than a gell cell. It can be charged a higher voltages and current than a gell cell, thus is faster to charge. A gell cell can be damaged if the charging voltage is not appropriate.

Sealed motorcycle batteries are using AGM technology. If the specs on any of these UPS batteries mentioned in this thread are checked, they should be AGM also. I wouldn't buy a gel cell battery if an AGM were available.

Comment

would a gel battery outlast an acid type?
          I agree with others here, they do last longer, which (if you keep the bike) makes them very competively priced. You get what you pay for.
          I wonder if Optima makes a motorcycle battery? They are an AGM type & I use them exclusively in my Diesel VW's. The fact that they do not leak acid is reason alone for me to purchase.

-Scott

Comment

Is a gel battery the same as a maintence free battery?

Comment

Maintenance free generally, I believe means never needs water level checked.

Gel-Cells and AGM batteries do not have water to begin with so they are all maintenance free. They also do not get corrosion build up around the terminals, a nice + !

Comment

Working...
              X