worn 2nd gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

worn 2nd gear?

Sometimes when I give my gsx a handful in second it feels like it slips out of gear, but quickly pops back in. It only ever happens in second but it doesn't happen all the time. Could this be worn teeth or dogs on second gear?
    What do you guys think
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

could be engagement dogs on gears could also be shift forks or both not a simple fix

Comment

The shift fork bends first (usually due to power shifting), and then the incomplete engagement/popping out will round off the dogs. All 3 should be replaced (1 shift fork, 2 gears), and to do that you have to pull the motor and split the cases. If the popping out has been severe or extended, the shift drum can also develop a notch in the shift fork track that will cause the problem to reoccur. It should be inspected by someone who knows what they are looking for.

Comment

Hi Jeremy,
        Does this happen just after you shift into 2nd and hammer the throttle or when you are out riding around in 2nd. My 400 does this so I have learned not to gas it for a moment after shifting into 2nd from 1st. If I don't wait I get about 50 feet in 2nd and end up in neutral (the light even comes on) which is hard on the bike as it revs pretty quickly in neutral...

Steve

Comment

It only pops out if I rev it high, there is no trouble changing gear.
          It goes in and out so fast it felt like the back wheel was spinning up momentarily at first. The funny thing is the guy I bought it off said he had spent a couple thousand on rebuilding the motor. Why would you do all that work and not check out the condition of the rest of the engine, I think he was trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

Comment

Working...
          X