1982 GS650L Intake boot leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650L Intake boot leak

I have been reading some threads about the idle increasing as the bike warms up and one suggestion was an intake boot leak. The only boot that looks like it has problems is the one residing under the petcock. It has cracks in the rubber. I've been told this is usually not a problem but wonder if the integrity of the boot can be compromised enough to create a leak.
    The high idle is not terrifically bad but climbs to about 1800 - 2000 RPM and stays there. I can still ride the bike without much problem. Has anyone had cracked boots? I haven't tried looking for a replacement yet and wonder how difficult that is?

Leak Check

You can try spraying carb cleaner around the boots when it is running, any leaks will draw the fluid in and you will notice a rise in the rpm's. Replacing the boots is not a hard job, getting the screws free without damaging the fasteners is the biggest problem, make sure you replace the o-rings too.
    Good Luck Bill

Comment

Boots show up all the time on e-Bay or you can purchase new ones for about $13.00 each from BikeBandit.com.

Do the "spray-test" like mentioned above (DO NOT USE CARB-CLEANER, IF YOU HAVE ANY ELECTRICAL LEAK YOU MIGHT BLOW-UP!!!) Use WD-40 or some type of similar flamable lube.

Comment

Most likely the boots are okay but the large O-ring between the boot and the head are leaking. Pick up some O-rings first before spending the bucks on the boots.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Be warned- a spray or mist test does not always prove anything with cracked boots. I sprayed carb cleaner all over my carb boots with no change in idle, but the boots were cracked for sure. Replacing them fixed the problem.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Correction

Jethro is right the spray test is not always conclusive, if the leaks are pronounced you would get a rpm rise then if the cracks are small it might not do anything, those are more of a problem at higher rpm when the vacuum is greater then at lower rpm. Speaking of carb cleaner being dangerous for fear of electrical leak (whatever that exactly is, maybe exposed wire?) and then recommend using any other flamable fluid, I assume he meant non flamable because WD-40 is non flamable and doesn't conduct electricity. which i dont recommend using ONLY because WD-40 attracts dirt and grime and could cause problems in the carbs should you have cracks and suck it into the carb body, it doesn't dissapate like carb fluid but leaves a residue and will adhere to the inside of the carbs and will attract any dust and or dirt that gets past the air cleaner and could gunk up over time.... I have used carb cleaner for years and never had a problem, granted I use a nozzle and dont spray like i am painting a barn, plus it is supposed to be sprayed in and around running carbs and chokes according to directions, but with common sense. I think you are safe because the wiring harness is up and away from the carb boots, at least with my bike there are no wiring or molex connections anywhere near the lower carbs, but I also use a nozzle tube so i dont overspray it on the engine case or let it run down all over the place. It doesn't hurt to be safe though, whatever you are comfortable with is what i would use.

Comment

Working...
            X