1982 GS650L Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650L Petcock

I posted a thread about the petcock on my bike and have read others... My bike will not run with the petcock in the "ON" position. I have to set it to "PRI" at all times. I tried riding the bike for about 20 minutes and while at a deserted intersection reached down and switched from "ON" to "PRI" and about 10 seconds later the engine quit and would not restart till I put it back to Prime.

So, this may explain while the bike is idling at 1800 - 2000 RPM when it is warm -- because it is running in Prime. Does this mean an overhaul of the petcock? Carb issues?

Sounds like either the vacuum is not hooked up or the petcock need some work.

Comment

Yep, pmilano is onto it: something's up with the vacuum operation of your fuel tap.
      1. Check the vacuum line that runs from #2 inlet manifold, to the back of your fuel tap. It should have no cracks, leaks, etc.
      2. If the vacuum line is OK then it's almost certainly the diaphragm in the back of your fuel tap needs replacing.

Comment

Replacement petcock parts

I took the bike to a shop and the mechanic said there are no parts for the petcock. He told me to leave it in PRIME and he installed a fuel shut off between the petcock and the carbs. Do you know where to find parts to rebuild the petcock?

Comment

Originally posted by Burke1959
          I took the bike to a shop and the mechanic said there are no parts for the petcock. He told me to leave it in PRIME and he installed a fuel shut off between the petcock and the carbs. Do you know where to find parts to rebuild the petcock?
          Dont believe bike shops.They always tell you you their are no parts for these bikes. Try www.bikebandit.com or www.oldbikebarn.com or e-bay.Ther are plenty of other places if you keep searching. You will find one though.

Comment

Hi,
            On old bikes like ours, it is a good idea to rebuild these things befoe they fail, in reference to the above post, I strongly suggest that you order a petcock rebuild kit from that eBay guy ( georgesfix), I "won" it on eBay a friday evening, he wrote to me saturday morning and shipped it 2 hours later ( I used my credit card).

Comment

$23 rebuild kit, not including shipping, just scroll down on the page until you see the one for "GS650 all".

Comment

Working...
              X