Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Seals

Good Day!

Just wanted to say thanks for the help on the carbs. They are running great now!
    I now have to do the fork seals on my 83 GS450T. Any words of wisdom or advice? I have never done and work on forks or front ends.

Thanks in advance.
    Rick

Re. the fork seals, it's best to get a manual for your bike and follow it on this one. The manual will give you all the tips you need for a successful dismantling and reassembly. Fork seals aren't a complicated job, but without a manual you're bound to foul something up! :shock:

Comment

There is a screw at the bottom of the fork that goes into the damper rod. The manual says to use a special tool to hold the damper rod in place while turning the screw. If you leave the fork cap on, the preload on the spring will push on the damper rod which will hold it in place, so you don't need the special tool.

Comment

A wooden dowel rod also works in place of the special tool. I just did mine and the spring held on one but not the other. All I could find in the shop was a broom stick, it worked great.:-D

Comment

Thanks!
          Well I got the fork seals done. They were alot easier then I expected. They are air charged and was a piece of cake to do, now only if my carbs were that easy. They still seems to be sticking and take alot of time to idle down.

Thanks Folks

Rick

Comment

Working...
          X