Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are new luggage racks available? Exhaust systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are new luggage racks available? Exhaust systems?

My '79 GS850GN needs a new luggage rack/sissy bar/back rest, and a new exhaust. Are these available anywhere? My dealer says no.
    Thanks;
    joe b.

aftermarket exhausts

are available, but not sure about the racks and sissybars.

http://www.denniskirk.com has some aftermarket exhausts

Comment

There's a set of new Mac slip on mufflers for an 850 year 79 through 81 or 82. Last time I checked, the price was pretty low.

Comment

I think you will have to scour E-bay.

I had to replace my KG rack and sissybar that my brother gave away. I could not find any after market racks that even looked similar. I saw some racks on E-bay that were either new or hardly used. I was looking for a cheap rack so I got my rack and sissy bar for $36.00. Most of the ones that were new cost well over $100.00. If you are willing to spend that mutch you wont have to search for long. It took me several weeks to get a good deal.

Good luck Chris.

Comment

By the way.

By the way. Some guy on E-bay sells new racks for several different bikes. They apear to be universal. He lists them for individual bikes. They apear to me to be cheapo racks. I would just stick to KG racks if I were you.

Comment

Re: I think you will have to scour E-bay.

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
            I had to replace my KG rack and sissybar that my brother gave away. I could not find any after market racks that even looked similar...
            You might find a decent one at your local junkyard? I bought a K&G Sissy bar last month at a salvage yard for $25.00, it was a little rusty but cleaned up fine.

Comment

I've been struggling to find a sissy bar too. there was one on ebay recently but I got outbid.

What does K & G stand for?
              Do they have a web site
              Are thier products on Dennis kirk?

Comment

I heard...

What does K & G stand for?
                Komfortable and Goofy looking. :twisted:

I heard K&G closed their doors a while ago.
                I think they were located in Rhode Island and probably closed before the web existed. I searched the web for a while before I gave up and rode to the salvage yard.

Comment

KG metal works was a German metal fabricator. That is what I have found out. They still make metal parts. Primarily for current bikes. I suppose you could contact the company in Germany and see if there was any old stock. I did a search with KG, metal and rack and got a list of related sites.

Comment

Imported Chrome?

Originally posted by Clone
                    KG metal works was a German metal fabricator. That is what I have found out. They still make metal parts. Primarily for current bikes. I suppose you could contact the company in Germany and see if there was any old stock. I did a search with KG, metal and rack and got a list of related sites.
                    The Sissy Bar I found at the salvage yard has a plate on it that says...
                    KG Engineering, Inc.
                    Woonsocket, RI
                    ...maybe that was the US importing companies name?

The next time I'm at MotoMarket (the local motorcyclist hang out) I'll ask some of the "more experienced" guys about it. I'm sure one of them will remember what happened, but as I recall motorcycles changed and sissy bars with racks went out of style

NOT FOR ME! The pillions in my group would rather ride on the back of my old Sissy Bar equiped GS than most other newer and fancier bikes. That suits me fine as I love riding with a hottie hanging on!

Comment

I got lucky with mine. I went to the salvage yard and asked. The guy opened the gate and said...Have at it. a couple of hours later I found one the fit. I couple of washers to shim it up and its been great ever since.

Comment

I've been super lucky on eBay. I got a beautiful like new rack and back rest for my GS1100G as well as a totally unused OEM 4 into 2 exhaust system. I also got all the Vetter fair and lower stuff from eBay! I have to get a sticker for the bike that says "I love my eBay!"
                        GY

Comment

You might get lucky at the bone yard.

You might get lucky at the bone yard. I couldn't find any here in Maryland. I went to a motorcycle junk yard in Massachusets and the guy wanted $40.00 for a rusty rack with no sissy bar. I said "this is junk your selling you know.

KG racks are universal they have extention bars that mount to the shock studs. You will need the longer bars for your 850. Mine came with the short bars. I had to extend them. Lucky for me the seam is almost hidden.

Comment

try http://www.ventura-bike.com/index.html

Comment

Working...
                            X