tire problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire problem

SO.....I order my tires and they sent me 110/90/19 for my front tire instead of 100/90/19.

Do you know If I can use the 110 on my GS850?

Will it affect my performance? better or worse?

I got the cheng shin high max

Thanks

btw is 35 bucks per tire unreasonably priced?? for mount and install?

Your bike will be fine with the 110.

My local shop charges $20 when I buy the tire there. It's $35 with a mail order tire, which doesn't make it worth it to mail order for me.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

awesome thanks! do you know if it will improve performance or decrease it? cycles USA is telling me my handling will become worse... is this true?

Comment

ok another issue. The bike shop called me and told me that they need to remove the whole exhust system because the exhaust is in the way of the axle and but to remove the rear tire.

is this true?

I don't mind paying an extra 30 bucks because I have a new exhaust to install on there, and the shop said they would install it if it was the same thing.

you have to remove the exhaust though? would a drop move the exhaust upwards>

Comment

My 1981 gs 850g had to have its exhaust removed to put on a back tire. I am not sure of your year but probably so.

Comment

You either need to remove the right side of the exhaust or one end of both shocks. If the bolts at the cylinder head are suspect, it's easier to remove the shocks. Yes, this is a royal pain in the kiester. Don't forget to lube the drive splines with 60% moly grease when the wheel is off -- ordinary moly grease or brown grease are not enough.

On my bike, I can loosen the right side of the exhaust just enough to lift it out of the way of the axle without completely removing anything. I don't know if this is possible on earlier models.

The bigger question is why are you letting an obviously incompetent shop monkey touch your GS?
            Last edited by bwringer; 06-06-2006, 08:04 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Get the correct size tire. Someone else screwed up your order, and it is their responsibility to correct the mistake.

With the larger tire, it may be difficult or impossible to fit the tire in the fender. At the very least, it will take a lot of wrestling and possible damage to squeeze it past the fender bolts. It will also make the GS850, never a ballerina in the first place, handle like a pig.

NEVER screw around or tolerate incompetence when it comes to essential safety items. Get the correct rubber on there and don't put up with excuses from the idiots at the shop.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by hostar
                SO.....I order my tires and they sent me 110/90/19 for my front tire instead of 100/90/19.

Do you know If I can use the 110 on my GS850?

Will it affect my performance? better or worse?

I got the cheng shin high max

Thanks

btw is 35 bucks per tire unreasonably priced?? for mount and install?
                I would not use the 110, whether it fits or not. The bike came with a 3.50 x 19. A 100/90/19 is about 3.93 inches wide and is already oversize compared to the OEM 3.50. The 110 will make the bike steer slower, and at 4.33 inches is (too) much wider than stock for the handling that you're used to.

It was the vendor's mistake, and I'd make them fix it. It's their problem. Don't make it yours.

Comment

I've used 110/90-19's in my four 850's and now my 1100. Five GS shafties since 1986. The 110 fits well, regardless of brand, they clear the fender, and they should pose no problem.

I've used 110's on both the pentagram front wheel and the more recent wheel on the 82's to 84's. No fitment problems.

So, install the 110, ride the bike, and enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by hostar
                    ok another issue. The bike shop called me and told me that they need to remove the whole exhust system because the exhaust is in the way of the axle and but to remove the rear tire.

is this true?

I don't mind paying an extra 30 bucks because I have a new exhaust to install on there, and the shop said they would install it if it was the same thing.

you have to remove the exhaust though? would a drop move the exhaust upwards>
                    You do not have to remove the exhaust. Just drop the shocks. I remove RH shock at the top and the LH shock at the bottom. The swingarm then drops enough to clear the rear axle for removal. No big deal. I've been doing this for 20 years.

Comment

hey guys

thanks for the responses! I already have the bike at the shop with the wheels. Thank god grandpa confirm the 110 works or else i would be in deep $h|t.

Thanks for the info on the moly grease on the spline, I am going to inform the shop tomorrow first thing when they open. Also going to tell them they don't need to remove the exhaust to get the back wheel off.

thanks everyone! don't know what I do w/o the forums. I can call back and sound like I am smart =P

:-D :-D :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa
                        You do not have to remove the exhaust. Just drop the shocks. I remove RH shock at the top and the LH shock at the bottom. The swingarm then drops enough to clear the rear axle for removal. No big deal. I've been doing this for 20 years.

Agreed. Do all of this on the centre stand.

You might also put a piece of 2x6 under the centrestand to raise the bike a bit higher, which makes it easier to get the tire out from under the fender.

You may also have to loosen off the rear brake retaining arm.

Watch for the spacer washer when you remove the axle, and be sure it is replaced correctly. You may need a long punch to remove the axle, but it should come out easily.

V E R Y .. .. I M P O R T A N T :

While the rear wheel is off, dab your finger in some automotive grease and put the grease on EVERY tooth/spline . You do not need much, but you should put some on all of the teeth.
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa
                          I've used 110/90-19's in my four 850's and now my 1100. Five GS shafties since 1986. The 110 fits well, regardless of brand, they clear the fender, and they should pose no problem.

I've used 110's on both the pentagram front wheel and the more recent wheel on the 82's to 84's. No fitment problems.

So, install the 110, ride the bike, and enjoy it.
                          My 850 came with a 110 Metzeler installed, and it was a battle to squeak it past the fender bolts upon removal. It was a VERY tight fit -- I had to deflate the tire to get it out and back in, and several times small rocks got caught in the miniscule gap between the fender and tire, creating circumferential gouges in the tire. So at the very least it is certainly POSSIBLE to have fitment problems with this size tire. (I didn't find out the correct tire size until I had this tire replaced.)

For the rim width reasons noted above, the 110 will not have the correct profile when mounted and the bike will not handle and brake up to its potential. Will you notice the difference? Maybe, maybe not. But even if the bike is only ridden to the corner donut shop at 30mph on warm Sundays, I think it's silly to compromise your safety just so you can let these idiots off the hook.

Also, do NOT use ordinary automotive or axle grease on the drive splines. It has been proven to be grossly inadequate through the bitter experiences of nearly every shaftie owner here. Insist on the correct lubricant, which is a grease containing 60% or more molybdenum disulfide. You can get a tube of this grease for $10 at any Honda dealer, which is a lifetime supply. Other manufacturers have similar special greases available for their shaft drive machines, so any competent shop should already have a supply.

However, it doesn't look like your shop is competent, so make sure you check that they are using a 60%+ moly grease. This is a special grease that's not good for much else, but it is essential in this application. Multipurpose or bearing greases will not work, no matter how brightly colored or synthetically impressive.
                          Eat more venison.

Comment

thanks again for all the info bwringer. I am going to ride the bike around and see how well it handles. If there is a big difference I will go back to the 100. The tires were cheap anyways. I am def going to call to make sure they are using 60%+ of moly grease

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer

Also, do NOT use ordinary automotive or axle grease on the drive splines. It has been proven to be grossly inadequate through the bitter experiences of nearly every shaftie owner here. Insist on the correct lubricant, which is a grease containing 60% or more molybdenum disulfide. You can get a tube of this grease for $10 at any Honda dealer, which is a lifetime supply. Other manufacturers have similar special greases available for their shaft drive machines, so any competent shop should already have a supply.

Good point, and thank you for making it.

I have used the molybdenum grease for so many years, I just think of it as a normal standard.....it's all I use on bikes, cars and ex's SUVs, except where lithium/white grease is called for (hinges, etc).
                              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                              X