tire problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer
    My 850 came with a 110 Metzeler installed, and it was a battle to squeak it past the fender bolts upon removal. It was a VERY tight fit -- I had to deflate the tire to get it out and back in, and several times small rocks got caught in the miniscule gap between the fender and tire, creating circumferential gouges in the tire. So at the very least it is certainly POSSIBLE to have fitment problems with this size tire. (I didn't find out the correct tire size until I had this tire replaced.)

For the rim width reasons noted above, the 110 will not have the correct profile when mounted and the bike will not handle and brake up to its potential. Will you notice the difference? Maybe, maybe not. But even if the bike is only ridden to the corner donut shop at 30mph on warm Sundays, I think it's silly to compromise your safety just so you can let these idiots off the hook.
    I don't understand why you had this kind of problem with the fitment of the 110 front; maybe something was not stock. I've had a 79 850, an 80, two 82's, and now an 1100G. None of these problems you described, on any of these. I have a 110 on my front right now, with no problems.

Handling no problem either, and I ride hard and corner and brake aggressively.
    Maybe someone can shed some light on this question.

Comment

Tire size can be a tough topic of conversation here. Most people think the stock tire conversion for a modern rear is a 130/70/17. In fact, that is quite a bit larger than the stock rear tire size, but I'm not putting anything smaller than a 130 on the rear of my 1100. Even the slightly more tame 850 has too much HP for less than a 130. Since I use a larger tire on the back, I put a larger tire on the front. My tires are always a 110/90/19 up front, and a 130/70/17 on the rear, basically one size larger both front and rear. My bike handles awesome and the tires fit no problem. I think the stock rim sizes are teh same for the 1100's and 850's, yes?
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        I think the stock rim sizes are the same for the 1100's and 850's, yes?
        Yes. The 850G wheels are the same as the 1100G wheels.

The "L" models of both take rear 16-inchers, as does the GK. Same front wheel.

Comment

So Brian, do you use a 100/90-19 in front and a 120/90-17 in the rear?

Tom
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
          X