1980 GS850GX Petcock... making me crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850GX Petcock... making me crazy

I have a 1980 GS850GX, and I am having trouble finding the correct petcock. I bought one on ebay claiming to fit 81-83 GS850's. Looking at a reputable parts site, I figured it would fit because the 80 and 81 GS850 were listed as having the same parts list/catalog on their site. I somehow misplaced the original that I had just repaired (frustrating), which is why I needed to buy a new one, so I didn't realize until trying to install the new petcock that the fuel intake for the petcock was on the opposite side as the original (frustrating and a lot of cussing). I cannot find anything online that looks like the original, with the fuel intake going to the left, as facing the bike on the left side. The new one goes to the right. If anyone knows where I can find one online or a part number other than 44300-45011 that will fit the bike, I'd appreciate it a lot. Everything online says GS850L or somthing to that effect, nothing says anything about the X model. I just want to get the bike back on the road! If I am somehow just spazzing out and doing something wrong, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

This is a long shot but once I had a petcock come the same way and it was made adjustable to change positions. Can't you just get a longer hose and secure it after routed to stop kinks? I buy my OEM parts at www.bikebandit.com Others are mentioned in other threads. here's the link to the petcock. 1980 is a GS850GT, 1981 would be GS850GX
    http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...me~GS850GT.asp
    Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2006, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I have an 80 model and this worked fine for me.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

New Petcock

I had trouble with mine so I replaced it with a non vacuum operated petcock and it was the best money I spent. There are adapter plates that cover the original opening and bolt into the original bolt holes on the tank, the plate also comes with an adhesive that helps prevent any leaks, that plate is around $12. The petcock I ordered for $16 was a 3/8 inch NPT pipe thread fitting that then screws into the adapter plate. The only thing I had to do with the tank was file the opening for the petcock which is round, it was only a small amount of filing to get it to pass thru the old oval opening, the oval part is now covered by the adapter plate. The positions on the petcocks is Run, Off, Res, so after riding you have to turn it off as well as turn it on before riding, the vacuum port on #2 then gets plugged. This solved a lot of problems and the total cost was much less then a new OEM replacement. A small investment and in the future the parts to rebuild are cheap and easily available at any motorcycle shop, or just buy a new petcock for $16 if you want, still beats the old vacuum operated ones, then again thats personal opinion.
        Bill

Comment

Not sure about the 850's, but on some of the Suzuki pet cocks, you can take the square back off, and turn it whatever way you need, point the inlets up, down, to the front, or to the rear.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
          X