I'm new and need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new and need help

I just recently got a 1978 GS550E and I've been riding it a lot lately, but the other day it stalled and wouldn't start. When I did get it started, it had to have the choke on all the way and no throttle. If I tried the throttle or take it off full choke, it would die.

I've been reading other posts on this forum about similar events, and I've looked at the carbs and they are clean. I've also looked at the gas and tank, very little to no rust, and the bike has an in line fuel filter to help that out. I did notice that when I was cleaning the carbs, there was very little gas in the float bowls.

I was wondering if there is something wrong with the fuel line or if anyone else knows what's going on? Any ideas?

Robert

I, among others, have had problems with inline filters. I got rid of mine and all my fuel starvation problems went away. That is not to say that this is your whole problem. Check fuel flow to carbs by removing fuel line.

Comment

I removed the fuel filter and replaced it with a straight through hose. I primed it bc I drained the float bowls when I checked/cleaned the carbs and the bike started up no problem, but after running a while, it did the same thing as before, it would die. I put it on prime for a while and it again would run great. Then after the second/third time, when I started it, it would idle around 3000,4000 rpm. Now I'm sure there is something wrong with the fuel system but I don't know what.

could someone explain or point me in the right direction on how to check the fuel line. Thanks.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2006, 10:27 PM.

Comment

The petcock probably is bad and you have bad O-Rings on the intake boots. 7.00 for 4 rings from the dealer, but a real PITA to change. you'll need new screws for the intake boots too.
        The petcock is probably stuck or bad and leaking. You can get a new one for about 50 dollars or a rebuild kit for around 20. I would look into rebuilding it, it is pretty easy.

You might want to clean out the dirt from the tank while it is off the bike and check for rust in there.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

You may have to warm the bike up a bit longer, before trying to shut off the choke, but this is summer in North America, so that seems less likely than other options.

If the bike runs when on choke, fuel is getting to the engine, but if it shuts down when the throttle is opened, then fuel is not reaching the engine in a condition suitable for combustion .

First, check your air cleaner and be sure it is clean and well-fitted. If the air cleaner is loose you will get a lean condition, and the bike will not run, or will run poorly.

If that is not the problem, you will likely have to clean and set-up the carbs.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I kinda found out what it wrong, but I'm not sure why it's happening.

I just got done working on my bike and found out that the petcock works fine except the ON position doesn't work. I can run the bike in the Res position all I want and it work great, but as soon and I switch it to the ON position, I have about 2/3 min till it sputters and dies. Any suggestions?

Comment

Buy a rebuild kit for your petcock. That should fix your problem.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Another Newbie

I just bought my first bike, a VERY clean '78 GS550E, and started having the same problem as described in the first post. Runs on high choke but dies with throttle, etc. I unscrewed the (I'm new and don't know what they're called) drains or whatever on the carburetor bowls and did notice that there is some junk in there. Some looks like gunk, but my screwdriver fit in the whole and is magnetic - there was some rusty looking stuff coming out on the magnet - so good chance it's gotten clogged up. ??

The local shop says it is the something-injector in the carbs that has a hair-wide tube that is probably clogged from debris. Does that make sense? Sounds like it. Am I right in thinking that this is a matter of:

1. Taking the gas tank off
                2. Clean the tank (how do you clean rust out of a tank?)
                3. Clean the carbs and gas lines, etc.
                4. Reassemble and fire her up?

I haven't tried running in on RES. Might be something to check out I guess - that sounds complicated though.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

Yep, your carbs are clogged with rust/gunk from the tank

You'll have to drain the tank, pull it off and take the petcock off. Rinse it out a few times with a 1/2 cup of gas.

Look inside with a flashlight. See any rust?

You need to clean (and maybe seal) the tank, clean the petcock screen, replace the fuel line, clean your carb jets and bowls at a minimum.

Search this forum for gas tank cleaning
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

See if your gas cap vent is clogged??

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...