79 GS850 starter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850 starter help

The starter on my 850 has decided to take a sabbatical.(after 27 years who can blame it)
    Went to leave work the other day and the starter barely turned over-had to kick it. Now all I get is a click from the relay. Checked /cleaned connections at battery & relay.Voltage at batt reads 13 +/- not running, 14-14.5 running w/o lights on. Haven't checked specific gravity in battery-no hydrometer
    I'm looking for a second(third,fourth??) opinion if the problem is my starter as I suspect. Don't mind kick starting it but at 1 a.m. when I have to go to work esrly it's a real PITA!

Thanks Scott

I had a similar problem over the weekend

with my gs650g. At first it seemed the battery was weak but it tested fully charged. I cleaned all of the connections but no change-plenty of power everywhere it was supposed to be but no starter action so I decided the starter was bad. Once I had the starter out(had to pull the carbs off to get to it)I bench tested it and it seemed perfectly fine. Upon searching the archives of this forum I found that the starter motor ground is the starter case itself and the two bolts that mount it. The two bolts were quite corroded so I wire brushed them and squirted WD-40 in the threaded holes and put the starter back in.
    That must have been the problem! Now it cranks like new. I think most people forget the negative(ground) side of the circuit because it does not always have a wire.

Comment

starter help

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try on my next days off. need to pull the carbs on the 850 to get to the starter as well. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Scott

Comment

The clicking sound suggests the solenoid is working, and is making current available to the starter but there is nothing happening past that point.

Poor ground is the first thing to check, and also check the red wire connections to ensure full voltage and current are actually reaching the starter.

After that, you may have to pull out the starter and open it.

BEFORE opening the starter case look at the positions of the markings. They are important, so write down the description.

On all starters brushes will wear out over time, and they will have to be replaced. You can buy individual starter brushes and maybe solder them in place, or you can buy a replacement plate that fits in, and comes with pre-wired brushes.

Before installing new brushes, check the commutator to be certain it is clean, and round. It will likely need some cleanup.

My preference is the plate. You can try Stockers Starters on the internet for a fair deal on either the brushes alone or the plate.

Alternator-Starter-Repair Parts for Motorcycle:Scooter:Snowmobile:ATV:PWC:Garden Tractor:Golf Carts:Utility Carts:Small Engines:Industrial Engines More!
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X