Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help.. Snapped the Ground bolt off...Repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help.. Snapped the Ground bolt off...Repair?

Today in trying to clean up my electrical system I snapped the bolt holding down the main ground lead on the frame from my battery. Its location does not lend itself to easy removal with a drill bit and an 'easy out'. In fact the bolt sheared off about 3'4 inch down into the bolt hole and due to the bikes frame its nearly impossible (as far as I can tell) to drill out that bolt and tap it if needed.

My question is can I simply drill and tap a new thread for a bolt elsewhere with easier access?

Bike is a stock 1984 GS1100GK with 33K on it. Bike runs well but I have recently had to replace RR. (RR is still in delivery status from Ricks Electrics, due to arrive June 8th.) Also, my head light and turn signals are not working. Fuses checked out, bulbs good (replaced them any way.) Just got a new digital multi tester and trying to diagnose wiring.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2006, 01:31 PM.

Drill And Tap A New One

Ground is ground. The short answer is Yes, you can place a new ground connection in another place on the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by KPottorff
      Ground is ground. The short answer is Yes, you can place a new ground connection in another place on the frame.
      The long answer would take up more words, but reach the same conclusion.

Be CERTAIN that the metal is clean at the point of connection, and you may also wish to add a bit of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. If not, experience has shown that petroleum jelly works well, despite claims that it does not conduct electricity.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Sometimes you think you know the answer but need to hear it from some one else to make it right!

Thanks for the replies.

Steve

Comment

Aside from the ground relocation, you may want to consider a new wiring harness. Not cheap but will ensure that you have good wires, at least in the main harness, that may eliminate your problems altogether or at least narrow the source down. Try Bikebandit where I got mine (around $180) for my '82 1100E.

Comment

If the hole is now 3/4 inch deep why not use a 1/2 inch long bolt and the same hole?

Comment

How Deep Is It?

I'm sure that the 3/4 inch depth given is probably exaggerated. Whenever I snap off a bolt it looks like the Grand Canyon just opened up.

But then I panic easily.

Comment

Although there is plenty of depth down to where the bolt broke, the upper part is not threaded. The bolt I snapped was not only somewhat thin but the threaded portion did not start for quite a length down the bolt. I'm not sure what the name of such a bolt or the reason for such a design. ......unless it needs to clear a section of engine or frame peice prior to threading.

And in so far as just retapping the top portion of the hole, I can't get straight at it.

Anyway, today's the day my new RR is set to arrive. I have to work all night so I'll be starting work tomorrow morning. I hope I get those head and signal lights going too because....

I WANT TO RIDE SOON!!!!

Thanks again for the replies.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2006, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input. My bike is running great now.

Replaced the RR with a Ricks brand. Awesome!

My headlight and signal light problem was really no problem at all, ... connector plug in fairing came apart. Plugged it together, perfect.

Put 350 miles on this weekend already.

I also put a Bridgestone S11 Spitfire on front.

I picked the bike up a couple months ago and put a little time and money in and now feel I have a great bike. Its my first bike and I love it.

This site really helps out people like myself. What a great resource, no pun intended, for GS owners!

Nice group of people!

Will post some pics tomorrow of my sweet 84 GS1100 GK :-D

Comment

Glad to hear that we were of help.

It's such a feeling of accomplishment when you take a vehicle that was given up for lost and put it back together and then DRIVE IT!

Keep your wheels down and your helmet up.

Comment

Working...
                    X